Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday (12)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly Tuesday meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.
The prompt for this week is Top Ten Books Written in the Past Ten Years That You Hope People Are Still Reading In Thirty Years!
(What a mouthful, eh?)

1. The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins - I'm sure that an obvious one. I am definitely going to force my kids to read them when they are of age, even if they aren't avid readers.
2. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky - This is just a beautiful book. It's got a simple cover that can easily be overlooked, but the words and the story will inspire and involve any reader! (And I know this was originally released in the late '90s, but it was rereleased in June of 2010 so... it kinda counts.)
3. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - I've been hearing about this book for years. YEARS. And I know I'm really late to the party on this one. I don't know why it took me so long to pick it up, but it is a beautiful story. It's breaking my heart and will do very well to put life in perspective for spoiled, and unspoiled children.
4. Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan - This series is what got me into Greek Mythology. It's a great read for middle grade children and young adults, plus us adults who just love great writing and younger characters.
5. Anything John Green Ever Wrote - No explanation needed.
6. The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer - I know, I know. But it's a good series for young adult girls, because most of them are really just looking for romance and simple writing. I personally liked the series. I loved it as a teenager and I still sincerely respect Ms. Meyer and her works. I think she has done a good job and obviously most of the world agrees.
7. The Queen's Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner - This series is wonderful for adventurous boys and girls. It is one of the greatest series that I've ever read. Brilliant, original plot lines, gorgeous imagery and wonderful characters that I committed a harsh crime for - aka the infamous "insta-love."
8. The Newsflesh Trilogy by Mira Grant - The greatest zombie series of all time. It's no doubt that it literally is the best. I love it. What else is there to say. EVERYONE NEEDS TO UNDERSTAND THE AMAZINGNESS.
9. The Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth - Much like The Hunger Games, this series is a necessity in modern culture. Young Adults everywhere are flocking to it and who can blame them. I really want them to have continued success.
10. Everything Written by Laurie Halse Anderson - The woman is a genius. Her work is amazing and inspiring. I think that they are very good stories for young women who are struggling with school, friends, boys, self-esteem, or really anything. I always felt like I could pick up one of her stories, have a good cry and keep my head up afterwards.

What books do you want to see people reading in thirty years?

3 comments :

  1. I ALMOST chose The Hunger Games - but I didn't love the ending, so I decided against it. And I'm not sure if people will continue to love dystopians the way they do now. But still, it was a close one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sooo with you on John Green! I, too, almost added The Hunger Games. It was more the 'kids killing kids' thing that kept me from it (although I do love the books... wierd huh?)
    The Book Thief is soo moving!!
    And The Perks of Being a Wallflower is on my TBR list!!

    Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought Perks was a very powerful book, but I wonder if we will still see it around in thirty years.

    Here's my
    Top Ten Books I Hope We'll Still Be Reading in Thirty Years.
    I'd love to have you stop by!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me