Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Book Review: Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder #2) by Kimberly Derting

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: February 15, 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
355 Pages

Violet can sense the echoes of those who've been murdered—and the matching imprint that clings to their killers. Only those closest to her know what she is capable of, but when she discovers the body of a young boy she also draws the attention of the FBI, threatening her entire way of life.

As Violet works to keep her morbid ability a secret, she unwittingly becomes the object of a dangerous obsession. Normally she'd turn to her best friend, Jay, except now that they are officially a couple, the rules of their relationship seem to have changed. And with Jay spending more and more time with his new friend Mike, Violet is left with too much time on her hands as she wonders where things went wrong. But when she fills the void by digging into Mike's tragic family history, she stumbles upon a dark truth that could put everyone in danger.

VISIT THE AUTHOR:
FIND THE BOOK:

Review:
I loved reading The Body Finder. The plot and characters were so original. I was captivated by the blurb and sucked into an amazing story. It was unlike anything I've ever read before. I mean, a girl who finds murdered bodies - both human and animal? Who could come up with something as creepy and brilliant as that? Kimberly Derting. That's who. After finishing The Body Finder, I couldn't wait to get started on Desires of the Dead.

Also, Kimberly Derting is wonderful. Not only does she write an awesome story, but she is a super nice person. My mother went to the Dark Days Tour where she met Kimberly, Dan Wells and Jill Hathaway. So not only is Kimberly a cool person, but my mother is, too!

Violet and Jay are wonderful together. There relationship is great, especially for one in their teen years. I really enjoy reading about coupes who had started out best friends. They love each other so much, in many different ways that it makes their love better and more real than any other. Jay is so swoon-worthy. Violet is a great match for him - when she shares what's really going on behind the scenes! Thank goodness Jay really loves her and has the patience to let Violet figure things out for herself.

Violet's family and friends are also pretty awesome. Since Violet's "gift" is kept secret, the only people who know are her family and Jay. I love that Jay has kept this secret for her. Though I wish that she could find other to trust. It must be hard having to hold this part of herself inside. Her friends aren't extremely involved in this book, besides one: Chelsea. Chelsea is such a teenager. I don't mean that as an insult, but really, she is very immature. I can understand why Violet doesn't tell her.

There are a few new characters introduced in this book. Some that will hopefully play a big role in Violet's life further on down the road. I really loved everyone who was brought into her life. They each had their own role in shaping the woman that Violet is becoming. I can't wait to see what is store for them all next!

There are twists and turns in this book that have you running into walls… And I may mean that literally... Ms. Derting really knows how to pull you into a story. There were several jaw-dropping moments in this book! I'm still reeling over what happened. At points in this book, I literally shouted for Violet not to go alone and to look behind her and WHY DIDN'T SHE ASK JAY TO GO LOOK WITH HER!? Oh lordie, that girl really grates on my nerves when she does reckless things! I swear, she'll give me a heart attack one day!

Shhh… shhh… let me just swoon over Jay a little more.

This book is a fast read, even though it's over three-hundred and fifty pages. Once I got into the book, I wasn't unable to stop reading it! Violet's voice is just wonderful. She is so intuitive! Her voice and story kept me on the edge of my seat for the entire book.

The covers for this series are gorgeous. Eye-catching and seriously beautiful. And while the books aren't about flowers, the haunting beauty of the flowers and darkness on the covers really work for the books. AND THEY ALL MATCH. Oh boy, did that ever make me happy. I love matchy covers! 

This book was awesome! I loved it and recommend the entire series for everyone. ONTO THE NEXT BOOK! WOO!

1 comment :

  1. I'm glad to see that you really liked this one! I'm hoping to pick it up soon. I recently read The Body Finder and I loved it! I can't wait to read more by Kimberly Derting. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me