Saturday, May 5, 2012

Book Review: The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: February 7, 2012
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
480 Pages

When Cameron Post’s parents die suddenly in a car crash, her shocking first thought is relief. Relief she’ll never have to tell them that, hours earlier, she had been kissing a girl. 

But that relief soon turns to heartbreak, as Cam is forced to move in with her conservative aunt Ruth. She knows that from this point on, her life will forever be different. Survival in Miles City, Montana, means blending in and not making waves, and Cam becomes an expert at this—especially at avoiding any questions about her sexuality.

Then Coley Taylor moves to town. Beautiful pickup-driving Coley is a perfect cowgirl with the perfect boyfriend to match. To Cam’s surprise, she and Coley become best friends—while Cam secretly dreams of something more. Just as that starts to seem like a real possibility, her secret is exposed. Ultrareligious Aunt Ruth takes drastic action to “fix” her niece, bringing Cam face-to-face with the cost of denying her true self—even if she’s not quite sure who that is.

The Miseducation of Cameron Post is a stunning and unforgettable literary debut about discovering who you are and finding the courage to live life according to your own rules.

VISIT THE AUTHOR:
FIND THE BOOK:

Review:
All of my friends on Goodreads, who have read this book have raved about it. I was expecting one of the best books I've ever read. But I was not immediately wowed by this book, I got nervous. My interest was piqued, but I by no means was obsessed. I couldn't stop reading it - read it in one sitting, but that was because I was waiting for something big to happen. Something that would blow my socks off, but that something never came.

There was no "wow" factor for me. The pace was very slow and I never felt any real emotion from the narrator that I could connect with. I actually skimmed some parts of it, when I couldn't get into the book. I hate to admit to skimming because I feel like I'm degrading the author's work, but as my mind tired of some parts, my eyes wandered along.

I loved the idea of the plot and the set up for the story. Since it was split up into sections of Cameron's life, you were able to watch as she developed into a woman and into her sexuality. I only wish that she had someone to support her and understand the her sexual preference is not a choice. We love who we love and that is that. 

I love the friends that Cameron makes in God's Promise, which is basically a camp from unwanted people. There is a former drug addict and many homosexuals in attendance. Cameron's friends, Jane and Adam, are great characters. They add comedy and also are great friends for Cam. I truly connected with Jane and Adam and would've loved more with them, even though there was a lot!

I am a full supporter of gay rights and to see people so mistreated in this book because of there sexual orientation was horrifying to me. But so realistic. A friend of mine was actually sent to a camp like mentioned in this story. She hated it and it did nothing to change her. She knew who she was and I'm proud to say she was resilient. She and her partner have been together for three years now. This book does show the issues that homosexuals face(d) in the late twentieth century, that they are often still facing now. 

I was unsatisfied with a few things in the book. One: There was no closure with Jamie, Coley, Lindsay, Irene or even with Cameron's, the main character, family members. It is bothering me to not know what happened between them and if anything was ever resolve. Two: The ending. I didn't quite understand what was happening. Just where it left off. Before it left off, it was very moving and sad. I just didn't like where the book finished. It felt incomplete to me. I wanted more, I expected more. Three: The way the author introduces characters and makes them a part of Cameron's life only to have them leave and never be heard from again. It really bothered me. Even though they are in the story for long, I wanted more of them. I wanted Cameron to have someone to rely on and have constant support from.

I enjoyed this book. It wasn't my favorite, but it was very good. The Miseducation of Cameron Post dealt with a very big and controversial issue in a regal and realistic way. Based on the content, I also recommend this for older, mature young adults and adults.


3 comments :

  1. I quite enjoyed this book. I had two problems with it. First, I thought it was too long. And second, I didn't like all the drug use (although that's a style preference not a criticism of the book itself).

    Emily's writing was beautiful and I loved her description of Montana. I recently found out that I am (90% sure) moving to Montana in a few months, so I want to re-read the book.

    I didn't mind reading about how horribly homosexuals were treated, because it represents real occurrences. It was definitely hard to read and hard to believe people could be that ignorant. One thing I did like was that Emily went out of her way not to demonize anyone (well, with the exception of a few people). However awful and to our 2012 mindset, ridiculous and unthinkable, what these people were doing was, a lot of them had good intentions.

    Even though the book didn't reach conclusions, like you said, I like to think of Cam and Jane Fonda and Adam as being happy and successful 20 years later. With long time partners and families. Because I like happily ever afters.

    Sorry if this comment is long - I'm really tired and I get chatty when I'm tired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no, I love chatty people. And I always love discussing books.

      I agree with the length. I thought it was getting so long because it was leading up to something huge, which depending on how you look at it, it was.

      I loved her descriptions, too and I think I would've enjoyed her writing more if she had moved at a faster pace. I just felt like a lot of it drag. But there were some beautiful passages in the book.

      It's a big bummer for me when people are mistreated because of the little things like skin color, sex and sexual orientation because I grew up in an area where everyone generally accepted and welcomed. It's just so strange to see that once upon a time, it was treated like a disease and people were shunned for who they were.

      I love happy endings, too! So I like to think they are happy, too, but I wish there had been more closure between Cam and the other characters that were involved in her life in Montana.

      Thanks for the comment! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm really excited to read this book and I have been since I first heard about it. Most of the reviews I've read have been glowing and positive so it was interesting to read someone's thoughts who just enjoyed but specified what they liked and what they didn't. Sorry you didn't like it as much as you expected to.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me