Monday, May 28, 2012

Interview with John Byrne

Emily is happy to have John Byrne, author of ALIBI: Mason, for an interview today!


1. You write the third e-book in a four book series. What can you tell us about the book you write?
While the backdrop of the third book is Abigail Shelton’s death, the story itself is primarily focused on Mason “Ace” Mackenzie’s downward spiral into jealousy and drugs.  It follows his transition from an insecure but well-intentioned kid to an irrational guy who becomes addicted to drugs and to winning.  This gives the book an edgier side.   
2. Each book is written by a different author. Was it difficult working with the other authors and creating an equal plot line?
The editors at Twist came up with the plot and did a great job streamlining the process for us writers.  It was really interesting to go back and read scenes from the other installments and to realize what the other characters were thinking during their scenes with Ace.  It gave me a new perspective on the scenes I'd written.
3. Would you participate in an "author chain series" again?
Definitely.  And the next series in the works for Twist promises to be equally innovative and exciting.
4. Your character's name is Mason. What is his relationship to the girl who died?
Ace is Abby’s boyfriend.  They have a complicated relationship, though, and Ace isn’t sure he wants to be with her…or with a certain someone else.  I think readers will really be surprised by Ace’s secret relationship.
5. What was the most difficult thing about writing this book? The easiest?
The most challenging aspect was probably working the other main characters—Charles, Palmer, Abby, and Rowan—into Ace’s story without straying too far from their character sketches.  I wanted to make sure I was true to what they would say in a situation without having a great deal of background information on them.  The easiest was writing Ace’s dialogue because he says some pretty stupid things, yet is vulnerable and actually has good intentions most of the time. 
6. Where did the idea for this series come from?
The series was outlined by Twist editors who wanted to create an interlocking story told by different perspectives.  Then they kept layering on the secrets so that each installment has a big ‘shocker’ moment. 
7. What's next in store for you?
I’ve been working on an international adventure/thriller for teens that draws from a lot of my experiences in Bolivia and Thailand. 
8. How time to do you spend writing per week?
When I’m working on a project, I spend anywhere from 10-20 hours per week on it, depending on my other commitments…work, life, having fun.
9. What inspires you to write?
Probably the people I’ve encountered in my life.  I’ve met a wide variety of people from around the world and these encounters often shape my writing, both in terms of plot and characters. 
10. What advice do you have for aspiring authors?
I would really encourage them to have a well-balanced life.  Most of my colleagues who are published spent ten years slogging away at writing before they made their break.  I think you need to make sure to enjoy life in that long interim.  I’d also encourage them to be open to constructive criticism. 

Quickies:
Night or Day? Day
East Coast or West Coast? East Coast for the weather and history, West Coast for the people.
Summer or Winter? Both
Cats or Dogs? Cats
Favorite author? I don’t really have a favorite author but some of the authors’ I really admire are Khaled Hosseini, Alex Garland and, yes, JK Rowling. 
Favorite book? Again, that’s a tough one…possibly either The Kite Runner or The Town.  I also grew up reading the Chronicles of Narnia.   
Favorite book genre? Adventure, YA


A big thank you to John Byrne for answering my questions and Twist Literary for offering me a copy of the ALIBI series! Check out my review here!

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me