Monday, May 28, 2012

Book Review: ALIBI Volumes I-IV by Annie Miles, Isabel Eckersley, John Byrne and Sorrel Provola

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: March 1, 2012
Publisher: Twist Literary
241 Pages

Abigail Shelton is dead. 

Spring Valley's golden girl is found floating face-down in her boyfriend’s pool, hands bound behind her back, head bleeding, drugs and alcohol in her system. Her friends are the only suspects – and they all have reasons to want her dead. Everyone has an alibi, but no one is innocent.

ALIBI is a 4-part young adult e-book series. Each one-hundred page installment reveals the perspective of a different character: the secret love, the nemesis, the boyfriend, the best friend. As their tales unfold, we learn that Abby is not as perfect as everyone believes, but she’s not the only one with secrets to hide. This page-turning tale of suspense, betrayal, murder, and lust will keep fans of Gossip Girl and Pretty Little Liars up and reading well past curfew.

VISIT THE AUTHORS:
Annie Miles - Goodreads
Isabel Eckersley - Goodreads
John Byrne - N/A
Sorrel Provola - Goodreads
FIND THE BOOK:

Review:
The ALIBI series is a series of novellas. The four parts of this book are titled after the character the story centers around: Charles, Palmer, Mason and Rowan. Each story is written by a different author. When I was first asked to review this, I was a bit nervous. I have never read a series like this. Different authors made me wary. My doubts were unjust. I ended up sincerely enjoying this story. And being sad when I had finished. This series was legitimately crazy. It was a heck of a ride that will leave you desperate for more! I couldn't put the book down once I started it. ALIBI is full of twists and turns that hit you before you see them coming!

Each of these characters play a huge role in the deceased's life. Reading from each point-of-view gives you more insight into Abby's life and into these young men and women's lives. Throughout the book, I was struck by the intensity. I couldn't believe half the things that went down because the way these people live is so shocking!

First up, Charles. Charles point-of-view is written by Annie Miles. She begins the series excellently. Charles's perspective was intriguing. Once I finished, I was confused as hell and didn't know what was true or what was a lie. It drove me crazy to put the book down for the night. Charles's book was so good. It had everything a good mystery needs: intensity, lies, scandal and romance. Charles isn't an innocent guy, but I found myself falling for him and his charm. He's had a rough life, and the reader can't help but feel bad for him. I thought I liked Abby when I began this, but no. No, I totally changed my mind through it.

Book two was about Palmer. My first thought was that the series was getting crazier and crazier! It drove me to the brink of insanity! I really liked Palmer. I felt that she was the most innocent of all of the characters. I really loved Palmer's strength. She wasn't perfect, but she was doing her hardest to get there. She wanted to be more than what people expected of her. I felt horrible for Palmer. She may have had the toughest life of them all. And a lot happens to her, not only in this book, but in the entire series. The author of this story, Isabel Eckersley, ties it in very well to the first part.

Mason's story is the third volume in this series. The author is John Byrne. In the beginning, I really didn't like Mason "Ace." He seemed like your typical rich guy. Reading for his point-of-view changed that. I saw him in a completely different light once I finished his story. He was just another piece in a game. He was used by everyone and I couldn't help, but want to hug him. He may have been a jerk sometimes, but you come to realize that he's just a human. He's trying to live up to the standards that others have placed upon him. He really wasn't a bad guy and I loved reading his story.

Rowan… what to say about Rowan. I hate her. I hated her from the first story. She's completely psychotic. She reminded me very much of a mad scientist. Everything she thinks, every action she partakes in is all as an experiment. Rowan's perspective is written by Sorrel Provola. The author pulls of the bitter, angry girl so well. I've never read a character like Rowan. A character that I completely hated on sight, even in her own story. 

The major twist in this story was not immediately obvious to me, but as the story continued, my suspicions grew. It was nice to not know one-hundred percent who the real killer was. The mystery in the novel was wonderful and kept my interest until the very end. I'm so disappointed that it ended where it did, because it ends on somewhat of a cliffhanger. I want to know what happens to the characters after ALIBI is finished!

My only complaint is that there were a few descriptions that don't match up for the others. Each story seemed to have a bit of a different idea of the characteristics of the characters. Maybe it was just eat character's perception? I'm not sure, but that and a few other minor issues with set-up of the ebook. There were placement problems and some strange font issues. Other than that, I really loved this series.

I can't wait to see what these authors and Twist Literary will produce next! I'm sure we won't be disappointed!

I received this book from Twist Literary for my honest opinion.

1 comment :

  1. Interesting review! I think I would really want to read The ALIBI Series because it sounds pretty good. Sounds like the story might be a little suspense + thriller to me! I do like reading these kind of books especially since I'm a fan of Pretty Little Liars!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me