Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Book Review: An Illicit Engagement (The Gentlemen Next Door #2) by Cecilia Gray

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: November 30, 2011
Publisher: Self-Published through The Alpha Division, LLC

Lord Lucas Willoughby earned his moniker as the Matchmaking Baron after his six engagements ended with each lady happily wed - to someone else. He swears off marriage proposals, until his headstrong neighbor proposes something else entirely.

Chastity Drummond has her sights set on a man who barely sees her as a woman much less a potential wife. She can't seem to get him on bended knee, but knows an engagement to the Matchmaking Baron will turn his head.

Lucas and Chastity's charade takes on a life of its. As feigned attraction becomes real, they wonder if they might already be perfectly matched.

Their illicit engagement will inevitably end in marriage – but to whom?


VISIT THE AUTHOR:
FIND THE BOOK:

Review:
Cecilia Gray has captured my heart again with An Illicit Engagement. It is the second novella in a series called The Gentlemen Next Door.

This time she gives us the story of a young woman who is desperate to help her father keep his company and his fortune by finding a wealthy, connected husband and her neighbor, a gentleman who has been engaged six times only for the women to end up with a friend, a family member or an acquaintance. While, I have read historical romances where the girl plans to marry out of duty and not love, I have never come across a story where the man has had such horrible luck in finding a bride! (Especailly not an attractive catch like the man in this story, Lucas Willoughby!) 

The author writes characters that you can really connect with. I may not be from the era that they are, but I can understand their thoughts, feelings and wants. Without that connection, a book can be very hard to read, if you end up reading it at all!

Chastity Drummond is a smart, determined character. She knows what she wants and she will get it. She's a very strong female lead. Lucas is bitter and cautious. He does not want to be used. He wants to be loved, not to be used - even if the using isn't purposely done. And he has the stubbornness and determination that matches with Chastity's. They make a fantastic pair!Don't even get me started on how much I love Cassandra. She's isn't a major character in this story, but book three is all hers and I can't wait to read that one!

I love that Cecilia includes characters from the first book in the series. When I started this book, I was so hoping she would because I adored Francesca and Phillip! I hope I will see more of Franny, Phillip, Chastitiy and Lucas in book three!

This novella is a fast read. I finished it in under an hour, but loved it dearly. It was a nice, light romance that was perfect for a morning with nothing to do. I was bummed that it ended where it did, because I wanted so much more! It ended too quickly for my taste, but I loved the story very much.

Cecilia knows her romance. This is the third story of hers that I have read and I assure you it will not be the last. I don't know how she does it, but she manages to keep my attention and make me fall in love with her characters. Every. Single. Time. Especially her brooding, dutiful men!



No comments :

Post a Comment

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me