Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Book Review: A Dangerous Expectation (The Gentlemen Next Door #3) by Cecilia Gray

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: March 28, 2012
Publisher: Self-Published through The Alpha Division, LLC
60 Pages

In the cloistered English countryside, an improbable couple will defy expectation.

Miss Cassandra Drummond, shipping heiress and consummate shut-in, flees London and the hectic to-do of her sister’s upcoming nuptials. She wants a quiet summer away from everyone, especially marriage-seeking fortune hunters.

She doesn’t expect Mr. Gray Abernathy to prove dangerous to her impregnable walls.

Mr. Gray Abernathy, poor ducal relation and consummate harmless flirt, eeks by on his charming manner and his pretty face. He wants an independence where he isn’t beholden to anyone, certainly not a shipping heiress.

He doesn’t expect Miss Cassandra Drummond to prove dangerous to his impregnable heart.

Fortunately for all, love and life can often exceed expectations…

VISIT THE AUTHOR:
FIND THE BOOK:

Review:
If you haven't noticed by now, I love Cecilia Gray and her work.

A Dangerous Expectation is different from its prequels. Partially because things happened very fast in this story. It was strange to me, but it seems very realistic for that time period. It was the perfect beginning for this couple, even if they didn't think so.

Right off the bat, I loved Cassandra Drummond. She's forward, yet innocent and sweet. She reminds me a lot of myself. She's awkward with men and always says what's on her mind. Cassie, as she is affectionately referred to by her sister, hates overwhelming social situations and prefers the quiet countryside. This, too, is much like myself. She's brilliant, scientific and a very curious being. Much different from most heroines that you read about in historical pieces. It was very interesting to read about her.

Grey Abernathy is a great love for Cassie. He understands her and loves her because of her quirks, not in spite of them. He's so sweet and he stands up for what he believes is right. Grey's a great guy, with the best interests at heart. And he's so fiercely protective of Cassandra that it makes me swoon.

The way that Cecilia introduces Grey Abernathy had me giddy and swooning. The picture in my head made me grin like a school girl. Ms. Gray is very good at painting scenes that they are easily pictured in your imagination. That's another thing I love about her stories.

I love how the bond between Cassandra and her sister, Chastity is shown more in this story. They think of each other's needs before their own and anyone else's. It's so sweet and endearing. It makes me wish that I had a relationship like that. 

Best lines ever: 
"I suppose that now my home is wherever you are."
"One day," he said, "I will be worthy of you."

As stated in my previous review, I love when authors include characters from past books in their present ones. So the fact that there were scene with Chastity and Lucas made me very happy. (Plus Franny and Phillip are mentioned in the story. Not as much as I wanted, but they were still there! Woo-hoo!)


No comments :

Post a Comment

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me