Friday, May 18, 2012

Book Review: Falling (Fallen Idols #1) by Cecilia Gray

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: July 22, 2011
Publisher: Self-Published through The Alpha Division, LLP

The trouble with falling in love is the long drop down…

Alexis isn’t afraid of much. She’s never met a cliff she didn’t want to climb or a waterfall she wouldn’t plunge over. Yet when her fiancĂ© leaves and takes her daring edge with him, she swears off love….

Until one wild night out at San Francisco’s latest hard-to-find, impossible-to-get-into new club where she discovers more than just a stiff drink awaits her inside, because the owner of this club is the sexiest man she’s ever met—and the most dangerous.

A few hundred years ago, Jason made a very bad bargain with a very vengeful goddess. Now it’s time for him to pay up, either with his soul… or his heart. And when one long look at Alexis makes him understand just how hellish a life of unrequited love could be, suddenly the alternative doesn’t sound so bad.

Only it turns out, the alternative isn’t just hellish—it is hell… and Alexis is the only one who can spring him loose. If, that is, she’s brave enough to try…

VISIT THE AUTHOR:
FIND THE BOOK:

Review:
She can do it all, ladies and gents! Again, I'll state how much I love Cecilia Gray's writing. She's flexible with her writing style and genres. Falling is a paranormal romance, and the fifth work that I've read of Cecilia's. She has also written historical romance and a classic retelling as a young adult contemporary. And I've loved them all!

This book was definitely not what I was expecting. Not. At. All. And not in a bad way. I really enjoyed reading this story. It was a captivating storyline with great characters and a beautiful writing style. Cecilia warned me ahead of time, saying that not many people enjoyed all of her stories because each series is different from the next, but personally, I've more than enjoyed them all!

Immediately, I loved the setting and characters of this story. Especially Jason… Mmm, Jason. Laurie was another favorite. She's such a strong character and loves her sister so much. Her loyalty is to Alexis first and foremost. The relationship between Alexis and Laurie is so sweet. I wanted to punch Mhaya in the face repeatedly. I'm six-hundred percent sure that I could take that woman in a fist fight. (Okay, okay, I'd totally lose, but the point is that I hate her.)

I don't know a lot about history or mythology. I enjoy reading stories with both of those concepts, but the accuracy is lost on me. I've read a few reviews that say the timeline needs to be checked, so I don't know what to believe with that, but I sure as heck liked it. My only issue was the insta-love. Ugh, insta-love. It works well in a novella because novella's are short, but for some reason, it didn't work for me in this story. I loved the two main characters and their attraction to each other, but I didn't like that love occurred so quickly. Besides that, I want more. I wish it had been pulled into a full novel because I was so intrigued by everything that happened in the story!

Cecilia's descriptions are phenomenal. I couldn't put my kindle down because I. Just. Had. To. Keep. Reading.

I'm definitely going to continue with this series as well. I can't wait to see what happens next and how much of the other characters will be included in novella two.


No comments :

Post a Comment

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me