Friday, May 25, 2012

Book Review: Fortune Hunter (Brook Street #2) by Ava March

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date:
Publisher: Carina Press
125 Pages

London, 1822 .... Impoverished Julian Parker returns to London with one goal: marry an heiress. He'll do whatever it takes, even if it means denying his desire for men. After all, with a fortune comes happiness and social acceptance—which have eluded Julian his entire life.

The only things a vast fortune has brought Oscar Woodhaven are greedy relatives and loneliness. At twenty-one years of age, he has everything a man could possibly want—except someone to love him. When he meets devastatingly handsome Julian Parker, he believes his luck has turned.

Between Oscar's lavish gifts and their searing hot nights, Julian is caught between what he thinks he needs and what his heart truly desires. But when a betrayal threatens to tear them apart, Julian discovers he'll do whatever it takes to convince Oscar the greatest fortune of all is love.

WARNING: THIS BOOK CONTAINS MATERIAL UNSUITABLE FOR CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 18. 

VISIT THE AUTHOR:
FIND THE BOOK:

Review:
Brook Street: Fortune Hunter is a cute story that fits in well as a sequel in the Brook Street series.

Oscar Woodhaven has money. And he has a lot of it. That's all his family sees in him. He lives alone after his father and mother died, leaving him without siblings. Julian Parker has just returned from America to find a wealthy wife. He's ashamed of being poor. Julian also has no family, but in his case, he received no wealth only a bad reputation.

I love these characters! They are so sweet. Oscar is definitely my favorite. He's not only sweet, but shy and sincere. I want to snuggle him and then put him in my pocket. Oscar is seriously so adorable. He brings out the best in Julian and really only wants to take care of him. Julian is a bit selfish, but with the way the author writes him and his backstory, you can understand why he is being selfish. He wants to prove that he can be somebody by marrying a rich woman. It may not officially be his money, but it will prove that he is not his father or his grandfather. It's very sad.

The minor characters in this book are frustrating. I didn't like Anderson, or Radcliffe. In fact, I kind of loathed them. Especially Radcliffe. It was cool that the author included character from the last book though. I missed Benjamin and Cavin, and it was nice seeing the little we did of them in this book. 

The novel moves at a quick, but steady pace. It's a very easy book to read. I read it in one sitting. It's simple and has a new plot line that I haven't read before. That made it all the more enjoyable.

The plot is interesting. It was able to keep my attention until the very end. Plus, it has some angst, which I love. Love isn't easy or perfect and novels like this put that into perspective, because while they aren't easy or perfect, they are worth it for the outcome. I was rooting for the two men in this story from the very beginning though. All you want is for them to be happy together.

It wasn't a perfect story, but it was really enjoyable. The gay men are somewhat typical for their time, but I was happy that there wasn't immediate love between the two. When they meet at a ball, they find each other attractive, but no deep feelings are mentioned. It's a relief after the last Gay & Lesbian novel that I read.

This is one of the most well-written Gay & Lesbian romances that I've read in the past two months. I've been disappointed repeatedly and this book made me realize why I love this genre! I can't wait to read book three. I'm sure it'll be just as wonderful as the first two.


I received and e-copy of this novel from the publisher through Netgalley for my honest opinion and review.

1 comment :

  1. I have read quite a few M/M novels however none that were historical in genre. Better check this series out. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me