Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Book Review: Blackout (Newsflesh Trilogy #3) by Mira Grant

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: May 22, 2012
Publisher: Orbit
560 Pages

Rise up while you can. -Georgia Mason

The year was 2014. The year we cured cancer. The year we cured the common cold. And the year the dead started to walk. The year of the Rising.

The year was 2039. The world didn't end when the zombies came, it just got worse. Georgia and Shaun Mason set out on the biggest story of their generation. The uncovered the biggest conspiracy since the Rising and realized that to tell the truth, sacrifices have to be made.

Now, the year is 2041, and the investigation that began with the election of President Ryman is much bigger than anyone had assumed. With too much left to do and not much time left to do it in, the surviving staff of After the End Times must face mad scientists, zombie bears, rogue government agencies-and if there's one thing they know is true in post-zombie America, it's this:
Things can always get worse.

Blackout is the conclusion to the epic trilogy that began in the Hugo-nominated Feed and the sequel, Deadline.

VISIT THE AUTHOR:
FIND THE BOOK:

Review:
Months. I wanted for this book for months. I couldn't breathe when the last book ended. Seanan McGuire aka Mira Grant has a way of stealing your heart along with your breath with her stories. When I picked up Blackout, I didn't expect for it to live up to my expectations. I heard good things about it, but I didn't know how the author would top off the series.

SHE WENT ABOVE AND BEYOND MY EXPECTATIONS. SHE IS A GODDESS, A WINNER, A WOMAN WHO I LOVE MORE THAN LIFE. Sorry for the caps, but you just have to understand that this series WILL change your life. It didn't make me go out and fight zombies (because they don't exist. YET), but it changed my taste in writing styles and made me think about the important things.

The writing, dear lord, the writing was phenomenal. Mira puts the "pro" in prose. I not only learned during her novels, but I loved learning. It didn't feel like learning because the storyline was so thick and the characters were learning just as you were. It was a complete addiction and I couldn't put the pretty words down. Each book in this trilogy was read in one sitting. I read Blackout in five hours. I literally could not put it down. I had to keep reading. There was no other option.

So much happens in this series. It tore my heart to shreds, but who can expect only happily-ever-afters in a world where most of the population would sooner eat your heart than fall in love with it.

I'm a huge zombie fan. HUGE. All of my friends know that the three things that I love most in this world are cats, books and zombies. So The Newflesh Trilogy is like a dream come true. The zombies in it are terrifying, but real. Mira gives them a reason for existing and one that remains part of the plot. Many times, zombies in books just seem to appear out of nowhere and then you are left to question why. There is a backstory to this series that makes it all the more addictive because the entire time you wonder, "Could this really be happening beneath our noses?"

Blackout is the most scientific of the three novels. It adds elements to the story that no one ever expected. It made it all the more difficult to know how it would end. I don't even know what to say because everything, especially the science of this story were perfection. PERFECTION, I TELL YOU.

And then... there is my issue. The end. It's what the author wanted, I know, but it left much to be desired for me. I needed more Shaun and George. I needed to see some things resolved, because there were a couple of things that I feel needed extra explanation. That is literally the only problem I had with this book - no, with this series. So I can't find the will to give it less than five stars.

I know that the author has more coming for us, but I can't wait very long because I need more. As soon as possible (aka NOW). So thank you, Mira Grant (Seanan McGuire) for giving me this amazing series, where I could fall in love with the characters, and the plot, and cry when it all ended.

I'm going to sign off from this review now because I'm crying and sad and need chocolate.

And so to everyone else, RISE UP WHILE YOU CAN.


No comments :

Post a Comment

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me