Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday (27)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish!
This week's theme is: 
Top Ten Books That Make You Think


1. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
- I was reeling for days after this. I couldn't stop thinking about it and how sad but real the topic is. Stories like this happen every single day. This may be a bit more extravegent, but children, teens and adults battle this awful disease ever day.
2. Hate List by Jennifer Brown
- This novel deals with one of the most sensitive topics out there and handles it brilliantly. I cried for days thinking about Hate List. It's unbelievable heart-wrenching. I was left wondering what would I do in the situation that Valerie's in and wondering how my community would survive this sort of tragedy.
3. Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard
- To this day, even thinking about this novel makes me want to travel the world and have adventures of my own. Insert bummed sigh here. I guess I'll just have to live those dreams out through my books!
4. Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
- I have never had an eating disorder, but my cousin suffered from one for years. She's healthy now, thank God, but it was horrible to watch her go through that. After reading Wintergirls, I was able to get a better understand of why my cousin did this to herself. The reasons weren't the same, but it did help me see that it was psychological and not something she willing did. It disturbs me that people actually go through things like this, but I'm really not surprised because of the horrid values of today.
5. Room by Emma Donoghue
- Last year in January, when I got really into reading, I started with this book. I finished it in one day. It's gripping. The perspective it's told in and the fact that it actually does happen had me sick over it for days. I still look back on it and almost cry because I wish I could do something to help women, and men, that go through things like this. No one should ever have to suffer this kind of abuse. Ever.
6. The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom
- Anything Mitch Albom writes leaves me reeling, but I really took that time to think about the lesson that this novel discusses, "Don't take time for granted." I still have trouble following that, but I love the way it's brought to life in this novel. Go read it. Seriously.
7. Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott
- My reason for putting down this novel is the same as the reason for me adding Room to my list. This novel is a nightmare brought to life.
8. A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness and Siobhan Dowd
- I don't talk about it often, but my mother is a 17-year Breast Cancer survivor. I grew up in hospitals, as the cancer spread all around her body. Even today, her cancer is still active and she takes seventeen pills a day to make sure she doesn't have to go through treatment or surgery again. This beautiful, beautiful book describes every emotion I felt as I watched my mother suffer through this disease. There were so many times that I thought I would lose her and the last thing I ever want is to say good-bye to my mother. I'm tearing up just thinking about it. This book is glorious and brilliant and every other word for amazing ever. Everyone should read it.
9. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
- This book got me through high school. I still push it on my family members entring high school because it really helped me open up and realize that I could mean something to people. It made me realize that no matter what I'm going through or who I am, I am not alone.
10. Looking for Alaska by John Green
- I really should've just used one "number" on John because every book he writes makes me think and contemplate and feel. He's perfect and I love him and I love his writing and I can't wait to meet him next month. Excuse me as I squee about it.

What books have made you think?

4 comments :

  1. I also enjoyed Perks immensely...Charlie is such a universal character, even to a guy with no shyness issues like myself.

    PS: Please don't be timid about checking out my Totally Top Ten Tuesday! post here. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good list. I loved Perks of Being a Wallflower and the rest of the books sound really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard alot of good things about A Monster Calls but have yet to actually put it on my TBR list. I'm really thinking I should!

    ~Allison @ Good Books and Good Wine

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me