Saturday, September 8, 2012

Book Review: A Season for Sin (The Sinful Scoundrels #0.5) by Vicky Dreiling

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: September 4, 2012
Publisher: Forever Yours

Introducing the Sinful Scoundrels...

The Earl of Bellingham is nothing is not a creature of habit: money, meals, and mistresses must be strictly managed if a man is to have a moment's peace. It's a system that works splendidly for him--until now. With his oldest and dearest friends succumbing, one by one, to wedded bliss, Bell is now restless and a trifle lonely. Enter the Sinful Scoundrels--Colin Brockhurst, Earl of Ravenshire, and Harry Norcliffe, Viscount Evermore--who drag him back into society and draw his rakish eye to the ton's new beautiful young widow. Bell isn't after a wife, but a challenge. And Laura Davenport should fit the bill quite nicely...

VISIT THE AUTHOR:
FIND THE BOOK:
Review:

This wasn't a book. Or even a novella. This was a prequel.

That's where this went wrong. I was expecting a full story, not an abrupt ending that will continue in the next book. Besides that I really enjoyed it, but I feel jipped so I can't give the story more than three stars. It was too incomplete and let a lot of unanswered question. I hate when authors do that.

A Season for Sin begins with the Earl of Bellingham - or Bell, as he prefers to be called - dismissing his current mistress. With the way he spoke of her in the beginning, I actually thought that she would be his love. She wasn't. Laura Davenport, or the Widow Lady Chesterfield and her stepson, Justin are introduced next. They have just moved to the city to become a better part of society. The two main characters are brought together by circumstance as Justin becomes an unruly, uncontrollable teenager. Out of intrigue and lust, Bell decides to offer his help in reforming Justin. That is where the story abruptly ends at sixty-nine percent. Insert sad sigh here. We are given a preview of the first book in the series, but it's not enough to satisfy my hunger.

I liked the characters very much. Except Justin, because I don't like douchebags… er… boys who disrespect their mothers. Bellingham is interesting and I can't wait to learn more about his past. There are definitely some secrets buried under that gruff exterior. The minor characters only add to the story. Bell's friends, Harry Norcliffe, Viscount Evermore and Colin Brockhurst, Earl of Ravenshire, add a comedic relief. Bell definite gets more than he bargained for when he befriends them. I also really enjoyed Laura's friend, Virginia Holt. She's a true character and I'm sure she will be playing a larger role in the next book. By the end of this prequel, we all know that Virginia, better known as Lady Atherton is hoping for Laura and Bell to get together. (As the audience is, as well.)

A Season of Sin was not what I was expecting, but I don't regret requesting this book off of Netgalley. I've wanted to read Vicky Dreiling's work for a while and I'm glad I was finally able to get a taste of her work. The first book in the series will definitely find its way onto my to-read list. I'm excited to see where Ms. Dreiling takes the story next. She has the opportunity to  an captivating story. But the request and blurb were definitely misleading. 


I received and e-copy of this novel from the publisher through Netgalley for my honest opinion and review.

2 comments :

  1. Hi Em,

    A SEASON FOR SIN is different than the typical e-novella, but I did have a reason for the way I wrote it. First, I wanted to write this e-novella to give readers something to read during the lengthy production process of the three full length novels that will publish in spring 2013. Because the full length novels will come out in up to three formats, it takes much longer for the production process than it does for electronic-only books. While I could have written an e-novella that had nothing to do with the upcoming series, I felt that readers would be more interested in getting to know the new characters. However, I realized while writing the e-novella, that I couldn't possibly end on the requisite happily ever after because that doesn't occur for Bellingham & Laura until the end of WHAT A WICKED EARL WANTS. I was faced with a bit of a conundrum and decided the only sensible choice was to end on a hook and give readers a preview of the first chapter to show that the story would continue in WHAT A WICKED EARL WANTS. Anyway, I hope this bit of background is helpful or at least interesting. All Best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicky -
      Thank you for taking the time to explain. I sincerely appreciate it. It was a good backstory, just not what I was expecting. I am really looking forward to reading the next book!
      Cheers!

      Delete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me