Friday, September 28, 2012

Follow Friday (33)

Feature & Follow Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Parajunkee's View and Alison Can Read.

Q. What is the BIGGEST word you've seen used in a book lately - that made you stop and look it up?Might as well leave the definition and book, too.

A. Wow, this is a good question. I can't think of a "big" word. I'm usually pretty good at figuring out meanings based on the context that they are used in.

Right now, I'm reading Ours is Just a Little Sorrow by Gwen Hayes, a novella with steampunk elements. So there is a lot of "futuristic slang." There are a few words in it that I haven't heard before. One is stalwart.

Stalwart [stawl-wert]:

  1.  strongly and stoutly built; sturdy and robust
  2.  strong and brave; valiant; a stalwart knight
  3.  firm, steadfast, uncompromising; a stalwart supporter of the U.N.
Definition as seen on Dictionary.com.

Never heard it before, but it's a good word for to describe a hero in a romance novel, eh?

What's a "big word" you've read lately?

AND DON'T FORGET TO ENTER OUR FIERCE READS GIVEAWAY!
SIX SIGNED BOOKS ARE UP FOR INTERNATIONAL GRABS!
FIND IT HERE.

4 comments :

  1. Good choice! I've had to look it up before myself!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace
    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of the word stalwart. I remember my professor using that word once. ;)

    It would be great if you could stop by my Feature and Follow Friday post. We have have a Night Of The Purple Moon giveaway going on. Come along and participate if you like! :)

    New follower here!

    Sarika.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stalwart is a word I've seen several times in historical romance. The word I had to look up was from David Mitchell's novel Cloud Atlas. Check it out here

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I have seen that word before a time or two.

    Have a great weekend!

    My FF

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me