Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Guest Post: AK Morgen

Happy Tuesday, everyone!
Today Edwin and I are happy to have AK Morgen as a guest on our blog!
Her debut novel, Fade, the first in her series, will be released on 
September 7, 2012!
Release Date: September 7, 2012
Publisher: Curiousity Quills Press
320 Pages


Guest Post: The Story Behind Fade

Inspiration for an author comes in many forms. A song, a myth, a dream, or maybe even a college lecture. My inspiration for Fade came from all over those places, but the story didn't begin there. 

Fade began with my grandfather. 

Growing up, my grandfather was my hero. When I was little, I spent my summers in his rig, driving all around the country. When we weren't on the road, we were outside. We lived on a farm, and there was always something to do. An animal to feed, a repair to make, berries to collect . . . Every day was an adventure with my grandfather, and my sister and I ate it up. We spent our school days eager for our summer adventures with grandpa to resume. 

I wrote my first story when I was seven. It was less than a page in length, but I filled it with the adventurous spirit my grandfather taught me. When I wrote my first book in the fifth grade, that same sense of adventure shone through. My protagonist was a kindergartener who found herself on a thrilling journey through the streets of Jamaica, armed with only a picture and her two best friends. 

When we told my grandpa about the book being published locally as part of a school project, he picked up a copy. Because of school, I could no longer be in the truck with him as he criss-crossed the country, but my book went everywhere I couldn't go. He showed it to everyone, proudly proclaiming that his granddaughter was a published author. 

In 2006, my grandfather passed away suddenly. My life turned upside down, and so did those of my family members. This amazing man who brought so much love, laughter, and adventure to our lives was gone. Our one solace was that he'd gone quickly, doing what he loved to do. He was outside, taking care of his animals. 

In the long months after his passing, my last conversation with him replayed in my mind. 

We'd sat down at the kitchen table to eat breakfast together one rare morning when he looked over at me, and out of the blue, told me how proud I made him. He then asked the same question he asked every time we talked. 

"Are you still writing?" 

At the time, I wasn't writing. My nephew was nearing the five-month mark in the hospital; I was a full-time college student, a full-time volunteer, and a full-time home health aide. I rationalized that I just didn't have time to write with so much else going on. 

Grandpa didn't buy that excuse for a minute. "What happened to your dream of writing?" he asked me. 

I didn't know how to answer that question, because that dream had long since been buried underneath a laundry list of other things that required my attention. 

He shook his head and tsk'd me. "Kiddo, you should be writing too," he said. 

When grandpa passed and that conversation began replaying, I realized the question he'd asked was more significant than any I'd asked myself in a long time. What had happened to my dream of writing? I'd dedicated so much time to writing over the years . . . only to give it up in favor of other dreams and real world responsibilities.

That bothered me. So I sat down to write.

I'd always been told to write what I knew, and right then, I knew grief and the heartache of losing someone who had always been such a central figure in my life. And so Arionna's story began. Her loss was my loss. But her story was so much more than that. 

Her story was a song, a myth, a dream, a college lecture . . . and a personal reminder that my grandfather was still with me. The things he'd taught me remained. And I owed it to myself, and to him, to honor those memories the way he wanted. Through writing.

Six years later, Fade is finally complete, but the journey is far from over for me, or for Arionna. Our adventures are only just beginning. 

I think my grandfather would be thrilled to know that.


---------------------------------------

Edwin and I would like to thank AK for sharing that beautiful, personal story with us. It's wonderful to know where she gets her inspiration, and extremely touching that she was willing to share! We can't wait to have her back on the 14th for an interview!

Leave some love for AK and tell us where you find your inspiration!

VISIT THE AUTHOR:
Goodreads.Twitter.Website.Facebook
FIND THE BOOK:
Goodreads

6 comments :

  1. Oh, I love this story. It's funny how much of an influence people can have on our lives, sometimes without even knowing it. Thanks for this guest post, and thanks for the heads up on the book as well!

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Wendy. The people in our lives really can have a drastic impact on us, and so often in unexpected and totally inspiring ways. I'm glad I had him filling that role in my life in such big ways for so long!

      Delete
  2. Gosh, AK...this made me tear up. Totally reminding me of the relationship I had with my grandmother, my memere. I'm so glad you were able to heed your grandfather's advice. Many, many congrats! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I'm so glad you had a special grandparent in your life too. They really do have a special touch about them, don't they? And thank you! :)

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful story. You are fortunate to have had such a wonderful grandfather. I'm sure he's smiling down at you with pride. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Beverly. I certainly hope he is! :)

      Delete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me