Sunday, September 16, 2012

Book Review: Gold Digger by Aleksandr Voinov

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: September 17, 2012
Publisher: Riptide Publishing
175 Pages

Not all that glitters is gold.

Nikolai Krasnorada leads the life of a corporate nomad. Working for a gold explorations company, he’s never put down roots, and he likes it that way. Roots can be dangerous, as everyone from his “man-hating” sister to his manipulative mother to his war-traumatized father has proven.

But when his CEO sends him to Toronto to strike a deal with LeBeau Mining, Nikolai meets Henri LeBeau, crown prince to the resources conglomerate and inveterate flirt. Sparks fly immediately, despite the business deal that threatens to go sour and Nikolai’s own reluctance to give Henri false hope about him being Mr. Right. He’s barely come to terms with his bisexuality, and getting involved with Henri would get messy.

When LeBeau Mining launches a hostile takeover bid, Nikolai and Henri find themselves on opposite sides of the negotiating table. But fortunately—or perhaps unfortunately—for Nikolai, Henri’s not nearly as interested in his company as he is in his heart.

WARNING: THIS BOOK CONTAINS MATERIAL UNSUITABLE FOR CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 18. 

VISIT THE AUTHOR:
FIND THE BOOK:

Review:

I've heard a lot a great things about Aleksandr Voinov and his Dark Soul series. People have recommended him to me left and right, so when I saw that Riptide Publishing had posted Gold Digger on Netgalley, I knew I had to give it a try. And holy John Travolta, I'm so glad I did.

I never read M/M stories for the sex, but seriously? This book was H-O-T. I cannot even explain to you the hotness of that was this book. The chemistry between the characters, the way the scenes are written… I'm blushing just thinking about them. They are perfection. Mr. Voinov writes intimate, sexy scenes that are, in my opinion, very hard to come by in M/M romance. I can honestly say that I've never read a novel with as realistically written sex scenes as the ones in Gold Digger. And now I want to go read all of the author's books to see if he writes that way all the time. My wallet will be weeping soon.

What I loved most about this book was how real and mature it was. A lot of romance novels that I've read, whether it be MM or M/F, don't really have characters that seem like hardworking adults, or adults at all. The characters in Gold Digger felt like people I could know, if I knew anyone in the business world… which I don't. The interactions and conversations were like those you hear between in real life. It's weird to say, but it actually didn't feel like I was reading a novel, but seeing someone else's life.

Gold Digger is somewhat of a companion to the Special Forces series. Vadim, one of the main characters in the Special Forces series, is Nikolai's father. Though this can be considered a companion, it can be read as a stand-alone. You do not need to read the Special Forces series to understand what's going on in the book.

Nik and Henri should be enemies. Henri works at his uncle's company and Nik works for the gold explorations company that Henri's uncle wants to buy. The attraction between them starts a series of events that will ultimately lead the two to serious relationship. Nik's not gay, but he's coming to terms with the fact that he's bisexual. He's slowing figuring out that Henri is the object of his affection, even if Nik says all that he wants is sex. Henri used to be a playboy. He's used to men using him and leaving, but Nik makes him want more. To make their relationship work, they must trust each other and not let what happens in the business world control what happens between them.

The author said that this was a "sweet and light contemporary," but it still hurt my heart at some points! God only knows what Mr. Voinov can do with an angst-ridden novel. My heart is clenching just thinking about it!

Basically, what I'm getting at is I adored this novel. Now every book Mr. Voinov has written needs to make its way onto my kindle. If I like the next book I read by him as much as I enjoyed Gold Digger, he will definitely turn into an "insta-buy" author for me. M/M romance fans, who want maturity in a story's writing, plot and characters, should definitely pick this one up! It's more than worth the read! The readers will be left smiling and sighing.


I received and e-copy of this novel from the publisher via Netgalley for my honest opinion and review.

1 comment :

  1. Man I love his Special Forces. So excited to be reunited with Vadim <3

    I liked Nikolai and the sex was hot but I felt it lacked a little in the actual romance department.

    Nice review!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me