Thursday, September 13, 2012

Book Review: Second Hand (Tucker Springs #2) by Marie Sexton and Heidi Cullinan

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: September 10, 2012
Publisher: Riptide Publishing
190 Pages

Paul Hannon moved to Tucker Springs for his girlfriend, but she’s left him with a house he can’t afford and a pantry full of useless gadgets. All Paul wants is to get back to normal, even if he's not sure what that is anymore. When he wanders into Tucker Pawn for a gift to win her back, he meets El Rozal, pawn shop owner and all-around cynic.

El Rozal doesn’t do relationships, especially not with clueless straight boys still pining for their ex. El may make his living dealing in castoffs, but that doesn't apply to men. Still, when Paul starts clearing out his old life, pawning kitchen equipment he never wanted in the first place, El is drawn to Paul in spite of himself.

Paul and El have nothing in common except a past full of disappointments. There's no reason to believe the two of them could fit, but in El’s line of work, one man’s junk is another man’s treasure. When it comes to love, El and Paul may learn that secondhand doesn't mean second best.

WARNING: THIS BOOK CONTAINS MATERIAL UNSUITABLE FOR CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 18. 

VISIT THE AUTHOR:
Heidi CullinanGoodreads.Twitter.Website.Facebook
FIND THE BOOK:

Review:

This was such a sweet book! Two of my favorite M/M Romance authors, Marie Sexton and Heidi Cullinan, came together to create a heartwarming story about  a pawn shop owner with a crazy family and the insecure, wannabe veterinarian that he falls in love with. I didn't realize that this was part of a series until after I read the book, but now that I know, I will definitely be reading the first book!

Paul is more than a little upset when his girlfriend of almost seven years leaves him for another man. After all, he moved with her to this podunk town of Tucker Springs where he works as a glorified receptionist at a veterinary clinic. El owns his grandfather's old pawn shop. His life is more than a little crazy. His sister dates the wrong guys and can't seem to keep herself from getting pregnant, his mom has a serious hoarding problem and he spends his free time hanging out with his best friend at a laundromat. When Paul comes into El's shop to buy a birthday present for his ex, the two quickly strike up a friendship. Turning that friendship to love means the two men will have to let go of their insecurities and wariness, and allow themselves to be happy.

These characters are so easy to root for and love with your whole heart. El is desperate for stability. Paul is desperate for love. They are real characters that face real issues. It's very easy to enjoy this book because you can relate to the struggles the main characters are going through. The minor characters really add to the story. I loved seeing El's interactions with his family. They all loved each other very much, but they had different ways of showing it. Loud, rude and crude, El's family reminded me a lot of my own. My love-to-hate character was Stacey. She was so unfair and cruel to Paul. He obviously cared a great deal about her and she repays him by leaving him. As the story plays out, I only grew to hate her even more.

Now for the part I didn't like. The only thing that I really had trouble with was the point-of-view switches. I wish that the novel had been either first-person-pov or third-person. I didn't mind hearing from both characters, in fact it made the novel more enjoyable, but it was frustrating to randomly switch perspectives. There was no indiction of the switches, it was just sudden, which left me flustered.

Marie Sexton and Heidi Cullinan wrote a wonderful story that I couldn't put down. It was love at first chapter for me. I'm a big fan of M/M Romance, but lately, I've read a few books that did nothing but make me roll my eyes. Second Hand pulled me out of that slump!  With its charm, humor and sexiness, Second Hand will keep you reading through the very end. I really hope these two authors decided to work together again! Their writing styles sync wonderfully.



I received and e-copy of this novel from the publisher through Netgalley for my honest opinion and review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me