Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Book Review: Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Son of Sin #1) by Anna Campbell

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: September 25, 2012
Publisher: Forever
384 Pages

Will a week of seduction...

Desperate to save her sister's life, Sidonie Forsythe has agreed to submit herself to a terrible fate: Beyond the foreboding walls of Castle Craven, a notorious, hideously scarred scoundrel will take her virtue over the course of seven sinful nights. Yet instead of a monster, she encounters a man like no other. And during this week, she comes to care for Jonas Merrick in ways that defy all logic—even as a dark secret she carries threatens them both.

...Spark a lifetime of passionate surrender?

Ruthless loner Jonas knows exactly who he is. Should he forget, even for a moment, the curse he bears, a mere glance in the mirror serves as an agonizing reminder. So when the lovely Sidonie turns up on his doorstep, her seduction is an even more delicious prospect than he originally planned. But the hardened outcast is soon moved by her innocent beauty, sharp wit, and surprising courage. Now as dangerous enemies gather at the gate to destroy them, can their new, fragile love survive?

WARNING: THIS BOOK CONTAINS MATERIAL UNSUITABLE FOR CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 18. 

VISIT THE AUTHOR:
FIND THE BOOK:

Review:

Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed first appealed to me because I was in the mood for some sexy historical romance. That was definitely what I got. It was perfect for the mood I was in. After finishing this book, I was left feeling throughly swooned, satisfied and giddy. Don't you just love when that happens?

As the book begins, I was immediately reminded of the classic fairy tale, Beauty and the Beast. Just as in that story, Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed stars naive girl who takes her beloved family member's place to remain in the clutches of an evil beast. Only in this case, the evil beast is a scarred man and the debt is not paid with love and companionship, but with the main character, Sidonie's body. Sidonie is offering herself to save her sister, who is not only in danger from a gambling debt, but also from an abusive husband. Sidonie gives us an interesting perspective into her life and the lives of her family. She is a genuinely sweet person who is often taken advantage of. My heart went out to her as the story developed. She really didn't deserve to be in the situation she was in. Though I'm, of course, glad she was because how else would we have gotten to meet Jonas. Oh Jonas, how you make me swoon! Jonas is a good guy. I couldn't help but feel bad for him because his life has been full of betrayals and lies. Sidonie is a good fit for him and he for her. They are just so… lovely. Enter dreamy sigh here.

My only real issue with the book is that Jonas speaks Italian. Not because I have a problem with Italians. I don't. I love Italians! Pasta is one of my favorite foods and Italian men are so sexy. I just don't know the language. I'm kind of an idiot. I took German in high school and college. I know nothing of the Italian language besides "graze" and "bella." That's it. So reading Jonas's Italian terms of endearment, without an explanation of what the phrases meant, was difficult. Maybe I'm just picky, but I would've liked to have an explanation of what the endearments meant.

I really enjoyed the plot. It was detailed and unlike any other historical romance I've read. When starting this book, I thought I knew exactly how it would go - what events would happen, who was the bad guys, how Sidonie and Jonas would end up together. To be honest, I really didn't expect many things that happened. I was thrilled when the Ms. Campbell was able to continuously surprise me with plot twists. There was a lot of angst, which I loved! The author really put my heart through the wringer. I smiled, laughed, swooned and teared-up. Anna Campbell really knows how to provoke feelings as you read! 

I'm so glad this is the beginning of a series! The ride that Ms. Campbell will lead us on with Sons of Sin is one that I'm sincerely looking forward to! She has reminded me why I love historical romance!


I received and e-copy of this novel from the publisher through Netgalley for my honest opinion and review.

1 comment :

  1. love your review! this one is pretty high on my TBR list! I love myself a good historical romance, and the fact that there seem to be plot twists other than the usual is awesome! Also, Jonas sounds so dreamy!! I can't wait to meet him!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me