Monday, August 20, 2012

Book Review: Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy #1) by Sarah Rees Brennan

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: September 11, 2012
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
340 Pages

Kami Glass loves someone she’s never met . . . a boy she’s talked to in her head ever since she was born. She wasn’t silent about her imaginary friend during her childhood, and is thus a bit of an outsider in her sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale. Still, Kami hasn’t suffered too much from not fitting in. She has a best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head.

But all that changes when the Lynburns return.

The Lynburn family has owned the spectacular and sinister manor that overlooks Sorry-in-the-Vale for centuries. The mysterious twin sisters who abandoned their ancestral home a generation ago are back, along with their teenage sons, Jared and Ash, one of whom is eerily familiar to Kami. Kami is not one to shy away from the unknown—in fact, she’s determined to find answers for all the questions Sorry-in-the-Vale is suddenly posing. Who is responsible for the bloody deeds in the depths of the woods? What is her own mother hiding? And now that her imaginary friend has become a real boy, does she still love him? Does she hate him? Can she trust him?

VISIT THE AUTHOR:
FIND THE BOOK:

Review:

WARNING: FAN GIRL RAMBLINGS AHEAD
This won't all make sense, I assure you, because I can't put into words how much I loved this book.
What is this writing? What is the beautiful, beautiful writing and why have I never read it before?

Sarah Rees Brennan is on my "author to hug if I ever meet them" list.
ETA: I did hug her on August 4, 2012. FOR THE FREAKING WIN! She's one of the funniest people that I've ever met. I wish she lived closer so I could be her friend and make her let me read the drafts, give me ARCs and free final copies of the next two books in the Lynburn Legacy series. I'm a greedy moocher, what can I say?

How did I come across this book? It started with a cover… I'm a cover luster. Book covers are what draw me in and as "bad" as it is, they are what push me to choose a book. In this case, I was right to choose Unspoken. It's as fascinating inside as it is on the outside.

Our lead is Kami Glass, a young high school reporter in the small town of Sorry-in-the-Vale, England. Kami is desperate for a great story. When the Lynburn family moves back to her town, she thinks she has finally found it. When she begins to investigate the family and interact with the her new classmates, Jared and Ash, someone decides to get rid of her. 

Let's talk about how much I love the main character's name. My old neighbor's name was Kami and I adored her. My feelings toward this Kami are no different. I was riveted by her perspective and her small town life. Honestly, the more I read, the more I wished I could be a part of the story. It's not often that I feel that way, but something about Sorry-in-the-Vale and the people who reside there made me desperate to be in the book. Kami's adventure and investigation drew me in like a moth to a flame. I wish I could've be in the story to help her solve the mystery! 

It was very neat to read about Kami's heritage. She is of Japanese decent, on her father's side. I love that this book has some diversity to it. There is a lot of reference to her looks and family. Japanese phrases and beliefs are also incorporated into the story. It helped make Unspoken and its characters stand out.

I was literally trapped by the mystery of this story. I couldn't put the book down after I picked it up because I just had to know what was going to happen next. Everything that Unspoken is eery! Definitely a gothic novel and so enjoyable! I cannot stress enough how much I loved this book. The writing grabs at your attention and keeps you sucked in. The events, the mysteries, the characters, everything about this book pulled together to create a novel that everyone can love! I'm included in that everyone, if you couldn't already tell.

There is a minor love-triangle like romance. Jared, who is a definite "bad boy." He's scarred physically and emotionally, but there is something familiar (to an obvious degree for the reader) about him that Kami just can't put her finger on for a while. The other boy is Jared's cousin, Ash. Ash is Jared's polar opposite. His edges smooth where Jared's are ragged. And I'm just gonna say it now: TEAM JARED FOREVER. Be team Jared or don't be my friend because he gives me the swoony swoonz.

Other minor characters include Angela and Holly. Angela was definitely not my favorite character. I think Ms. Brennan wrote her that way on purpose. She was crass, loud and not always the best friend to Kami. Ten and Tomo are Kami's younger brothers. Their interactions were so funny to read and it's very obvious that Kami loves them very much, and her parents, too. For once we have a character comes from a happy, loving household (even if it is filled with secrets)!

The characters in Ms. Brennan's story are so fun. I enjoyed reading the book from the very beginning. As soon as it is released, there will be a copy for my shelves. I definitely recommend this for fans of YA paranormal mystery. It's a cute book that will leave you beginning for more and screaming at the ending. BECAUSE A CLIFFHANGER? REALLY? WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT TO ME. *coughs* Erm… Right. Well. Go read it.

Also - when I talked to Sarah, she said book two is going to be called Untold and will be released in September of 2013. OVER A YEAR AWAY. I'm going to go cry in a corner and eat my feelings now.
ETA: Sarah made Untold its own Goodreads page. SEE HERE. And the publication date is June 6, 2013. BOO-YAH.


I received and e-copy of this novel from the publisher through Netgalley for my honest opinion and review.

5 comments :

  1. I love the description of this book, so cool! I am definitely going to pick this up!
    I am totally a cover person as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a few weeks until Unspoken is on the shelves! Or not. Team Human still isn't in the nearby bookstores yet. Still, I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one's on my list! I've heard such good things about it! Can't wait to read it myself. Thanks for the review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of this one, but it sounds excellent. Thanks for the rec!

    Glad to have found your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm excited to read this! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me