Sunday, August 26, 2012

Book Review: Every Day by David Levithan

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: August 28, 2012
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
336 Pages

Every day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl.

Every morning, A wakes in a different person’s body, a different person’s life. There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.

It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day.

With his new novel, David Levithan has pushed himself to new creative heights. He has written a captivating story that will fascinate readers as they begin to comprehend the complexities of life and love in A’s world, as A and Rhiannon seek to discover if you can truly love someone who is destined to change every day.

VISIT THE AUTHOR:
FIND THE BOOK:

Review:

I've been told before that I just shouldn't read popular/hyped books a few times. Since I found this… lacking, I'd have to say that I really should stop. I looked at the ratings for this novel and was surprised to find only a handful of one/two star ratings. I want to give it three, because I liked it, but the real rating for me is probably more of a two stars. I gave it a boost for originality.

As I read the beginning of Every Day, I really enjoyed it, but during the progression of the story, I found myself bored and able to put it down for long periods of time. That's never a good sign. The concept was super interesting. So creative and unique! David Levithan is a brilliant writer. He writes in a way that will tug at your heartstrings. He's utterly magnificent. And he always gives us the most magnificent quotes. 

So why then didn't I like this book?

I think the main reason I didn't really enjoy this is because of the characters. The characters. Goodness me, the characters drove me nuts. A is a sweetheart, but I found him very selfish. Then again, you can understand why he's being selfish. He wants to take advantage of life, which is hard when you live through another person every single day. My feelings towards him made my head spin. At some points in the novel, it is hard to like him, but at other parts, I found myself wanting to hug him. A is overall very likable, but his situation is sad and definitely hard to relate to. Plus the girl he's in love with? …No, thank you! I don't get the attraction. I thought she was super annoying and rude. 

It was really interesting to see the lives of all of these different people, though. That was what I really liked. You never saw the same kind of person twice. The author is very good at giving his audience realistic characters that come from different backgrounds, that have different emotions and different tastes. Because really, no two people are exactly the same. David Levithan writes diversity phenomenally. 

It's just one of those things where I feel like I'm reading a different book than everyone else. The entire world loved this and I'm like… "Did I pick up the wrong book?" That's not to say this was bad. I guess I just wasn't in the mood for it? I'd like to give it another try soon. And just because I didn't like this book, doesn't mean that I won't read the author again. His writing is quite enjoyable! This novel just wasn't for me.


I received and e-copy of this novel from the publisher through Netgalley for my honest opinion and review.

1 comment :

  1. OMG, glad I'm not the only one that isn't in love with this book. I didn't hate it, I just didn't love it like everyone else. I just couldn't get over the fact that he's a girl and a boy on different days. Almost done with it so the ending might sway my overall feelings...

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me