Saturday, August 25, 2012

Book Review: A Mutiny in Time (Infinity Ring #1) by James Dashner

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: August 28, 2012
Publisher: Scholastic, Inc.
192 Pages

Scholastic's next multi-platform mega-event begins here! History is broken, and three kids must travel back in time to set it right! 

When best friends Dak Smyth and Sera Froste stumble upon the secret of time travel -- a hand-held device known as the Infinity Ring -- they're swept up in a centuries-long secret war for the fate of mankind. Recruited by the Hystorians, a secret society that dates back to Aristotle, the kids learn that history has gone disastrously off course.Now it's up to Dak, Sera, and teenage Hystorian-in-training Riq to travel back in time to fix the Great Breaks . . . and to save Dak's missing parents while they're at it. First stop: Spain, 1492, where a sailor named Christopher Columbus is about to be thrown overboard in a deadly mutiny!

VISIT THE AUTHOR:
FIND THE BOOK:

Review:

This book was adorable! Okay, adorable is the wrong word to describe the book, but it fits perfectly for one of the main characters, Dak.

Dak and his best friend, Sera, live in a futuristic society that is basically controlled by a group called the SQ. The two young children are geniuses. Dak is obsessed with history, while Sera loves science. They are so nerdy and adorkable. (You see what I did there?) When they find their way into Dak's parents' lab, they end up making a discovery that could save the world, or if let into the wrong hands, worsen it further. With the help of the Hystorians and a boy named Riq, the Dak and Sera must righten history and find Dak's missing parents.

This is story is the perfect length for the age group it was written for. Not only is this a great read for middle grade children, but A Mutiny in Time is perfect for the family because it has something for all ages. I was greatly entertained by the plot and characters and I'm an adult. I will be buying this novel for my youngest cousin as soon as it's released. As a middle school science geek, I know he will adore this series.

The adventures the three main characters went on were so interesting to read about! My jealousy was overwhelming. How neat would it be to go back in time and meet some of the greatest influences of modern society, the men and women who made our world what it is today? I would love to be in their shoes - except when they are narrowly escaping death, of course!

Yes, there were a few times when I was confused, but I really enjoyed it, overall. I don't really understand what the SQ was or what they really were after, I mean, I don't understand why they wanted to change history. I'm sure as I continue with the series, more and more will be revealed. It's something to really look forward to!

A Mutiny in Time was a super fun read. It's probably sad that even though it's a middle grade novel, I learned a lot. This series is going to be an epic one! The author line-up alone is enough to make me want to read it!


I received and e-copy of this novel from the publisher through Netgalley for my honest opinion and review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me