Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday (59)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish!
This week's theme is: Top Ten Books I Thought I'd Like More/Less Than I Did

Jen's List

1. How to Kill a Rockstar by Tiffanie DeBartolo
- This was one book that everyone raved over, but it left me feeling... I don't even know, empty? I still haven't properly rated it yet because I still can't decide how I feel about it. All I know is that I didn't love it like everyone else.
2. Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma
- Just based on the subject matter of the book I never thought I would have the emotional connection I ended up having with this one. Highly recommend this one.
3. Stalk Me (The Keatyn Chronicles #1) by Jillian Dodd
- Coming off of my love of the That Boy series, I was excited to read something else by this author. First chapter in, I was already making notes on what bothered me. Such a dissapointment.
4. Incarceron (Incarceron #1) by Catherine Fisher
- Here was a book I borrowed from my friend that I hadn't heard anything about. The premise sounded interesting enough but this book grabbed me from the beginning and I ended up loving it.
5. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
- I knew I would like this book going in. I mean, what's not to like? American girl in Paris who falls in love with a cute boy. Just a cute, fluffy read. Instead what I got was what turned out to be one of my favorite books. And one of my favorite characters (St. Clair, I love you).
6. The Boy Who Sneaks Into My Bedroom Window by Kirsty Moseley
- This book has a fairly high rating on Goodreads (4.10) and the plot sounded really interesting. But alas, this book drove me nuts.
7. Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone #1) by Laini Taylor
- What can I say about this one? I knew I was going to like it based on what I heard, but I never expected to love it. So much that I finished it pretty much in one day.
8. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
- What can I say? Based on the movie, I thought I would love this book. I didn't.
9. Monument 14 (Monument 14 #1) by Emmy Laybourne
- I picked this book up at the Fierce Reads signing where I met the author. The way she decribed the book and the characters had me super excited to read it. However, something in it fell flat. I liked the book, but not as much as I expected.
10. Twilight (Twilight #1) by Stephenie Meyer
- I had to include this one. One of my best friends threw (literally) this book at me a little over five years ago. I knew I would enjoy it, but I didn't expect it to take over that week of my life where I had to buy the next two (Breaking Dawn wasn't out yet) and do nothing but read. While my views about the quality of writing and plot may have changed since then, the fact that this series owned me for some years means I had to put it on here.


Emily's List

1. Storm (Elementals #1) by Brigid Kemmerer
- I wasn't sure about this because I didn't really enjoy the first novella. The writing was addicting, but the characters needed some work based on what I saw in Elemental. Luckily, I found a new favorite in this series.
2. Losing It (Losing It #1) by Cora Carmack
- I'm not a fan of books focused toward the new adult age group and so I was worried that I wouldn't enjoy this. As the book progressed, I found it harder and harder to put down.
3. Wasteland by Susan Kim and Laurence Klavan
- I knew I wasn't going to like this, but didn't think that I would absolutely hate it. Spoiler alert: I did.
4. Strands of Bronze and Gold (Strands of Bronze and Gold #1) by Jane Nickerson
- I thought I was going to love this one! It had a beautiful cover and a summary to drool over. I didn't feel that it lived up to its potential, though.
5. Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone by Kat Rosenfield
- I was obsessed with this cover. The font? The coloring? I was sure I was going to love it to the max and I ended up barely getting through it.
6. Painted Faces by LH Cosway
- I'm obsessed with this book now, but when I first saw it, I really wasn't sure. The themes are much different from anything I've ever read and I didn't know if the author could pull it off. She did. Beautifully.
7. Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky #2) by Veronica Rossi
- Thoroughly impressed. Ms. Rossi absolutely blew me away with this one. I thought it was even better than the first! No one should miss this series!
8. Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle #1) by Diana Wynne Jones
- The movie version of this novel is literally my favorite movie. I was expecting to love the book as much as I adore the movie, but though I enjoyed it, I definitely didn't love it.
9. Starcrossed (Starcrossed #1) by Josephine Angelini
- I was sure I was going to love this. I probably would've bet my savings on it. Truth be told, I could not stand it.
10. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
- I went through a phase in high school where I didn't read. At all. I skipped book assignments in my english classes and let my library card collect dust on my dresser. Then my professor told me to read Jane Eyre. I absolutely loved it and started reading again and haven't stopped to this day. I wasn't expecting to enjoy a classic so much--because I honestly have trouble reading many of them.

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me