Wednesday, April 3, 2013

ARC Review: The Eternity Cure (Blood Of Eden #2) by Julie Kagawa

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: April 30, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
446 Pages

Allison Sekemoto has vowed to rescue her creator, Kanin, who is being held hostage and tortured by the psychotic vampire Sarren. The call of blood leads her back to the beginning—New Covington and the Fringe, and a vampire prince who wants her dead yet may become her wary ally.

Even as Allie faces shocking revelations and heartbreak like she’s never known, a new strain of the Red Lung virus that decimated humanity is rising to threaten human and vampire alike.




VISIT THE AUTHOR:
 FIND THE BOOK:
Review:
The Eternity Cure – basically Kagawa takes your heart, rips it out of your body, stomps on it a few times for good measure, and then proceeds to try to shove it back into you. And I loved every minute of it.
The Eternity Cure picks up a few months after the Immortal Rules ends. Allison has left Zeke and his band of wayward travelers at the gates of Eden while she heads out on a mission to find Kanin, her sire. Alone, just following the internal pull she feels toward those of her blood line. Along the way, she finds a very unlikely ally in her blood brother Jackal. Together they set out searching for Kanin. But Jackal is not the only person from her past she encounters. Her journey plus finding Kanin and the events after leave you not only wanting more, but gasping for breath as you sort out what just happened.

While the Immortal Rules felt a little slow moving at times, Eternity Cure was just the opposite. Never once was there a dull moment, and just when you thought you safe…nope. The writing style was flawless. Kagawa has a way of describing everything in just the right amount of detail, and I loved that she never shied away from the violence of vampires.  

Now, let me take a moment to discuss the characters:

Allison
“I was a monster who killed and prayed on human life. I could never escape that, but at least I could choose what kind of lives I took.”
Source
It goes without saying that she is badass. She’s an amazing fighter, says what she’s thinking, and always tries to do the right thing. She tries so hard to hold onto that little ounce of humanity left inside of her. And she stands by what she wants and what she believes in. The only person ever to give her reason to pause is Zeke.

Oh Zeke.

“No one who fights so hard to do the right thing is evil.”
I just want to hold him. Wrap him up in a blanket and protect him from this cruel world because no matter how much horror he sees, he still holds on to that eternal optimism that everything will work out. 

Kanin and Jackal

Allison’s blood family. We got to learn and see a different side of Kanin here and it was interesting how he went from mentor/teacher to Allison, to more like her comrade in arms. He taught her all he knows and now has left it up to her to decide what she does with it. And Jackal- here was a character I never expected to like, especially after the first book. But holy crap if I wasn’t cracking up at all of his one-liners. And the thing about Jackal, he doesn’t beat around the bush. He tells you straight up where his loyalties lie, but that doesn’t mean that he won’t surprise you at times.

Sarren

“Hello, little bird. The camera on this computer is shot to hell, I’m afraid, so we’ll just have to be content with audio. Pity. I really wanted to show you what I’ve been doing. But, perhaps a song is worth a thousand pictures, hmm?”

Shudders. So so creepy. There aren’t words to describe this monster. His calm demeanor while playing with his prey creeps me out to no end.

And I will not name the one person who we meet up with in New Covington, as I don’t want to give everything away. Just know, there’s a certain place in hell carved out especially for you, remember that. 

And that ending...
I laughed, I gasped, I almost threw my kindle, and I cried. So many different emotions. So many feelings. I need the next one…like now. Not even joking. You listening, Julie?


JENN
 So much thanks to Netgalley and Harlequin Teen for allowing me to read this ARC.

3 comments :

  1. Oh I'm so excited to read this now! I'm really glad to hear that the sequel surpasses the first book-Nicely reviewed Jenn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait for this one! Awesome review, love the gifs. Definitely can't wait to read this one.

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like Julie Kagawa´s books .. there are so great and awesome ... i read the iron king serie and was ... ohhhhhh !!! jijij ... and the next serie was the same .. thanks for your review .. hope for more ...

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me