Wednesday, April 10, 2013

ARC Review: School Spirits (School Spirits #1) by Rachel Hawkins

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:


Release date: May 14, 2013
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
304 Pages

Fifteen-year-old Izzy Brannick was trained to fight monsters. For centuries, her family has hunted magical creatures. But when Izzy’s older sister vanishes without a trace while on a job, Izzy's mom decides they need to take a break.

Izzy and her mom move to a new town, but they soon discover it’s not as normal as it appears. A series of hauntings has been plaguing the local high school, and Izzy is determined to prove her worth and investigate. But assuming the guise of an average teenager is easier said than done. For a tough girl who's always been on her own, it’s strange to suddenly make friends and maybe even have a crush.

Can Izzy trust her new friends to help find the secret behind the hauntings before more people get hurt?

Rachel Hawkins' delightful spin-off brings the same wit and charm as the New York Times best-selling Hex Hall series. Get ready for more magic, mystery and romance!


VISIT THE AUTHOR

FIND THE BOOK
Review:
I enjoyed the Hex Hall seies, I really did. And when I heard that there was going to be a spin-off series, I was intrigued. When I found out it was going to be about Izzy Brannick, I was a little hesitant. It wasn't that I didn't like the Brannicks, it was more like I thought Izzy was a child and then assumed her plight would be rather childish. I am glad I was wrong. Now while you don't need to read the Hex Hall seies to read the spin-off, I would recommend it. It gives you some background on this world and an introduction to the characters.

School Spirit follows the youngest of the Brannick clan, Izzy. After her sister goes missing with no clues where to find her, Izzy and her mother start trying to move on - or so they say. This means taking on more cases, including enrolling Izzy in high school to investigate a supposed haunting. Having never been to an actual school, Izzy immediately feels out of place and tries to learn all she can by watching a teen soap drama. What she didn't expect was a group of misfit friends and a real haunting that threatens those she now holds dear.

Izzy grew on me. She has an extrememly likeable character about her and a naive demeanor that endears her to you. The whole book she's trying to prove to her mother that she can handle herself out in the field, that she's just as strong as her sister. What she's actually hiding is guilt over her missing sister and loneliness. She doesn't realize how lonely she's been until she meets the gang of PMS or Paranormal Management Society: Romy, Anderson, and Dex.

I instantly liked Romy, the leader of PMS. Her sarcastic wit was the perfect counter to Izzy. She's the kind of person you would want to meet if it was your first day at a new school, at least I would. Then there's Anderson, who I believe really only joined PMS to get close to Romy. But my favorite part of the book had to be Dex. From his first encounter with Izzy:

"You are my new hero. Seriously, I might actually be in love with you now. Would it be awkward if we made out?"

To explaining his...well, himself, I guess:

"The clothes, I mean," he said, gesturing to his coat. "I know that I'm fashionable and well-groomed, and yes, I have been known to rock the occasional manbracelet."

He lifted his wrist, jangling the bracelet I'd noticed earlier. I could see now that it was plain silver, just to a series of links.

"But," Dex continued, dragging anouther one of my fries through ketchup, "I also like ladies. And not as shopping buddies, but in the carnal sense."

Dex just made this book entertaining. I laughed out loud at many of his one liners and based on that ending, I really hope he's a constant in this series because I can't think of anything more hilarious than that.

One thing I hope we get more information about is Torin. Yes, the boy in the mirror is back here in a much bigger aspect. There's something quite off about Torin and his connection to Izzy and her missing sister. I believe that we will come to know his secrets, and I know I can't wait.

A very promising start to this new series.

JENN

So much thanks to Netgalley and Disney-Hyperion for allowing me to read this ARC in exhcnage for an honest review. 

2 comments :

  1. This sounds so interesting and i'm loving the plot. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the whole series turns out. Great review!

    - Ellie at The Selkie Reads Stories

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time I've heard of this one. Look interesting enough and love the cover!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me