Monday, April 15, 2013

Book Review: Losing It (Losing It #1) by Cora Carmack

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: February 26, 2013
Publisher: William Morrow
288 Pages

Virginity.

Bliss Edwards is about to graduate from college and still has hers. Sick of being the only virgin among her friends, she decides the best way to deal with the problem is to lose it as quickly and simply as possible-- a one-night stand. But her plan turns out to be anything but simple when she freaks out and leaves a gorgeous guy alone and naked in her bed with an excuse that no one with half-a-brain would ever believe. And as if that weren’t embarrassing enough, when she arrives for her first class of her last college semester, she recognizes her new theatre professor. She’d left him naked in her bed about 8 hours earlier.



After reading several negative reviews from people who usually have the same bookish opinions as I do and seeing many positive reviews, I wasn't sure whether or not I would like Losing It. If I'm being honest, it's not usually the kind of book I enjoy--one that takes sex so lightly and makes virginity seem like an offense. So it seemed like a real hit-or-miss book. I wanted to love it, because I've struggled a lot with the new adult novels I've read and I made the decision to quit if Losing It didn't pull my faith back into this new age group. Luckily I found this book to be cute and fun, just what I needed to relax after a stressful week!

Losing It is not a mind-blowing, heart-wrenching novel, but it was so fun and so entertaining that when I read it with my reading buddy, Jen, we ditched our schedule to finish it. (We have very little self-control.) But who can blame us with this book as addicting as it is!

This is a very fast read, not just because it is somewhat short, but the pacing. It didn't drag like I've seen several new adult novels do. I really appreciated that. Though the plot and characters were a bit shallow, I couldn't stop reading! It's a nice book to read and a total guilty pleasure. Though the most obvious theme in this book is sex, there is more to it than that. It's about relationships of both friends and lovers and how growing up can change them. It's really about figuring out who you are, what you want and what's best for you--or really, the main character, Bliss. She learns a lot about herself in this book and watching her grow into herself was awkward, but so amusing.

This is the story about a girl named Bliss Edwards, who is almost done with college and still a virgin. After deciding to finally get rid of that pesky little thing, she meets Garrick Taylor and though she plans to lose her virginity to him, things don't go quite as planned and she leaves him… In her bed… In her apartment. As if that wasn't embarrassing enough, she sees him again, in what she considered to be the least likely place. Turns out he's her professor, which means even though she's falling for him, she doesn't stand a chance. The rest of the book is a comedic ball of awkwardness and wit that will humor those who read it!

The characters are not exactly the sharpest crayon in the box, but rather than constantly annoy me, I found it entertaining. Their reactions are overall genuine and realistic, making it a pretty relatable story. Bliss and Garrick were a cute couple, and the fact that he was British made him even easier to swoon over. I admit, I have a fondness for men from the UK. I also really liked Cade and I am excited to see him getting his chance at a happy ending in the next book! He's a sweetheart and he deserves it.

I'd recommend this for fans of new adult, definitely! It's definitely not for a younger audience though. Losing It is sure to keep the attention of its readers and leave them eager for the next installment--which I am! SO EAGER!

3 comments :

  1. I've been hearing a lot of great things about this book and i'm so glad that you enjoyed it! I haven't read my copy yet, but I will soon ;) Great review!

    - Ellie at The Selkie Reads Stories

    ReplyDelete
  2. WE REALLY DON'T HAVE ANY SELF CONTROL. :) Have you gotten approved for Faking It? We're going to read that one together, right? Right?!? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh jeez Garrick! How do I even begin to describe him? I felt super bad for Cade and I'm thrilled that he's getting a book!:)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me