Friday, June 15, 2012

Book Review: One Moment by Kristina McBride

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: June 26, 2012
Publisher: EgmontUSA
272 Pages

This was supposed to be the best summer of Maggie’s life. Now it’s the one she’d do anything to forget.

Maggie Reynolds remembers hanging out at the gorge with her closest friends after a blowout party the night before. She remembers climbing the trail hand in hand with her perfect boyfriend, Joey. She remembers that last kiss, soft, lingering, and meant to reassure her. So why can’t she remember what happened in the moment before they were supposed to dive? Why was she left cowering at the top of the cliff, while Joey floated in the water below—dead?

As Maggie’s memories return in snatches, nothing seems to make sense. Why was Joey acting so strangely at the party? Where did he go after taking her home? And if Joey was keeping these secrets, what else was he hiding?

The latest novel from the author of The Tension of OppositesOne Moment is a mysterious, searing look at how an instant can change everything you believe about the world around you.

VISIT THE AUTHOR:
FIND THE BOOK:

Review:
One Moment provided me with my angst quota for the day, maybe even the week. I cried a lot. It was such an endearing and heart-wrenching read. Seriously, it was such a good book. It was one of the best books that I've read in a while. Plus, look at the cover… Such a pretty cover...

One Moment is about a girl, Maggie, who witnesses the death of her boyfriend of almost two years. Maggie and Joey, the boyfriend, joined their four friends, Adam, Tanna, Pete and Shannon, spending a nice, warm day during Memorial Day weekend by a gorge local to their town of Blue Ridge, Ohio. They all take turns jumping from a the falls, except Maggie, who has an extreme fear of heights. Joey convinces her to jump with him, but somehow he ends up falling and crushing his skull and Maggie is found hiding in the bushes at the top of the falls. She is unable to remember anything that happened. The aftermath of Joey's death leaves the five friends reeling and struggling to stay together. All the while, Maggie battles her own personal struggle, to remember why she didn't jump and how Joey didn't make the jump. As the story continues, secrets are revealed, some friendships are tested, while others are broken. 

The "shocker" in this book was pretty obvious from the beginning, but I didn't let that stop me from reading and I'm very glad I continued because this was wonderful! Even though the major twist in the story was clear, the plot was new and original. The setting was projected as gorgeous, which Ohio really is gorgeous (if you look in the right places).

This story has so much drama! It hurt my heart. I must be a masochist because I really, really enjoyed it! One Moment has suspense, drama, mystery and even a bit of romance. It's a great book for fans of young adult dramas like myself.

The prose was emotional and captivating. Reading from Maggie's perspective had me in tears more often than not. It had an almost lyrical quality to it. One Moment was a fast read and pretty short. I read it in one sitting, which is happening very often lately. Non-stop in a couple of hours means I seriously enjoyed it. I really recommend this book! And it won't be the last Kristina McBride book that I read!


I received and e-copy of this novel from the publisher through Netgalley for my honest opinion and review.

1 comment :

  1. Great review! I agree that although the shocker was obvious from pretty much the start, I still really enjoyed the story and kept wanting to find out more. My favorite part was definitely when she was finally able to say goodbye. So emotional! And the ending was fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me