Sunday, June 10, 2012

Book Review: The Loners (Quarantine #1) by Lex Thomas

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:

Release Date: July 10, 2012
Publisher: EgmontUSA
416 Pages

It was just another ordinary day at McKinley High—until a massive explosion devastated the school. When loner David Thorpe tried to help his English teacher to safety, the teacher convulsed and died right in front of him. And that was just the beginning.

A year later, McKinley has descended into chaos. All the students are infected with a virus that makes them deadly to adults. The school is under military quarantine. The teachers are gone. Violent gangs have formed based on high school social cliques. Without a gang, you’re as good as dead. And David has no gang. It’s just him and his little brother, Will, against the whole school. 

In this frighteningly dark and captivating novel, Lex Thomas locks readers inside a school where kids don’t fight to be popular, they fight to stay alive.

VISIT THE AUTHORS:
FIND THE BOOK:

Review:
Quarantine: The Loners is the creepiest, most terrifying book that I have read this year. Actually, it may be the creepiest book I've EVER read.

After finishing it, I was amazed. Not by how much I loved it, but because of the details of the story. This book is literally insane. Everything that happens in it is so unbelievable, but I was scared the entire time!

It's definitely an original plot. I've never read anything like it before. I don't know if that's a good thing or not… The Hunger Games seems to have triggered a new wave of authors trying their shot at frightening, Dystopian novels. Some are pushing boundaries that have been dormant for years before now. This book is one of them.

The Loners is different from The Hunger Games most definitely, but I can't help but compare them because of the constant death that surrounds both books. The Loners is about a guy, David, who just wants to protect his brother from the crazed high schoolers that have grown reckless and dangerous. He wants to keep safe until he and his brother, Will, can get out of the high school. Only those past the point of puberty can leave the school, because they will no longer carry the infection that the prepubescent teenagers carry. This infection is fatal to all adults and if I understand it correctly, young children, too.

I'm sure there is going to be a lot of controversy surrounding this book. I'm on the fence, to be honest. I usually am. There are at lot of things in this book that I don't think should be read by teenagers. Not because they'll become notorious serial killers afterwards, but because there are just some things that not everyone is mature enough to handle. I believe this book is more adult than young adult. Personally, I don't think it should be read by anyone younger than a high school freshman - if that. This book takes the term "young adult" and throws it around very loosely. There is a lot of detail, much of that detail surrounds the ideas and acts of murder.

I'm an adult physically, mentally and legally and there were times in this book where I wanted to put it down and step away for awhile. On the other hand, I was entranced by the horror of it all. It may sound like I didn't like this book. That is not the case. It was not my favorite book, but it kept my attention until the very end. My whole point is that I think it is directed at the wrong age group.

The writing is very good. The point-of-view change up is a little awkward, but other than that I really enjoyed it. I finished it in a few sittings and really did like the story. It's a strange idea, but the originality is what really kept my interest. There is a lot of mystery, surprise and even some romance. This book is not what you'd expect. The Loners is full of information. You learn something new every chapter. I don't think I could give a good synopsis because to truly understand, you must read the book.

I recommend The Loners to fans of Dystopian horror. That is how I would classify this novel. If you are looking for a light-hearted adventure, this is not what you want.


I received and e-copy of this novel from the publisher through Netgalley for my honest opinion and review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me