Thursday, January 3, 2013

Book Review: Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky #1) by Veronica Rossi

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: January 3, 2012
Publisher: HarperCollins
374 Pages

Since she'd been on the outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, and she'd seen men murdered. This was worse.

Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland - known as The Death Shop - are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild - a savage - and her only hope of staying alive.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile - everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.

VISIT THE AUTHOR:
FIND THE BOOK:

Review:

I first read Under the Never Sky in January of last year. I've read over three-hundred books since then, so I have to be honest and say that I didn't remember much of it. When I first read the novel, I remember not being very impressed, though I wanted to love it because everyone else did. It is such a good thing that I read the book again, because I absolutely loved it the second time around. Plus, I really, really needed a refresher. If I had started Through the Ever Night without rereading Under the Never Sky, I would constantly look like this:
But enough about Through the Ever Night, though zomg guys…, that review will come later. This review is about the book that started it all.

Aria grew up in a protected dome that hid from the devastation of the outside world. She has no interest in the world beyond her home of Reverie, and the cyber realms in which she lives her life. When a twist sends her to the outside, she must rely on on of those she has been taught to fear and hate the most. Perry lives on the outside. He sees Aria as a mole, a threat to his way of life. He relies on his strength and his Sense to survive, while she cowers with her peers in their dome. But he needs her help, as much as it pains him to admit, and she needs his. Together they must overcome their ideals and work towards saving the world and the people they love most. 

The thing I may love most about this book: It doesn't have a love-triangle, or a severe case of insta-love. I know what you are thinking:
But I'm serious. This book produces conflicts based on things other than romance, though it takes some time for the romance to build up because they must learn to overcome the prejudices they were raised under. I, like many YA fans, have grown wary of love-triangles and insta-love because of how often they are used. I mean, how are so many girls struggling with the affection of two extremely different, extremely sexy guys?! Well, in Under the Never Sky, we see a couple that isn't put in either of those situations, and the story still was captivating.

These characters are realistic to their situations. From the moment you meet them, you can understand their thought processes and actions. That's not to say that you'll always agree with them, but they make sense. You won't be left confused by actions don't fit the personalities of the characters that you've come to know. Aria really annoyed me in the beginning of the novel. Actually, Perry annoyed me as well. Not because they are unlikable characters, but because of their prejudices. Roar, on the other hand, is probably my favorite character. His wit and humor really add to the story, as well as his ability to be serious. He's just an overall great guy and a fantastic friend. He makes me swoon! 

Many people have, and will, enjoy this book. Even with its fault, it will easily entertain its readers. Under the Never Sky is brilliant debut. I am sincerely looking forward to the next installment. I think Ms. Rossi is a wonderful storyteller and I cannot wait to see what road she takes these characters on next!



6 comments :

  1. I have recently reviewed this book! I the worldbuiding and the characters! I really enjoyed this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it and I'll definitely have to check out your review!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I'm currently reading this (for the first time!) and will probably put up a review soon as well. But yes, I agree, no insta-love nor love triangle! That's already a major plus :P

    So far so good for me anyway, hope I'll love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very hesitant with this one and almost most set it down after the first couple of chapters. So glad I didn't, I ended up really really enjoying it. Can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had this on my kindle forever and still have not read it. But I am determined to put my hesitation aside and finally get to it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has been on my TBR for a long time. Great review. Will check this one soon ASAP. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me