Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday (30)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish!
This week's theme is: 
Top Ten "Older" Books I Don't Want People to Forget

1. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
- One of my favorite books ever and one of the few "classic" novels that I've enjoyed. I think it has a great plot, wonderful characters and passes on a message that applies to any generation.
2. The Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- I grew up on these books. And not just the books - my mom was, actually still is, a huge fan of the show, so it was always on our television. Laura's story is just so interesting and it's a great way to learn about the past.
3. Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle #1) by Diana Wynne Jones
- I'll admit that I didn't read this until after I saw the movie, but I will force my children to read it. It's a fantastic novel for middle grade. A mild fantasy world, a bit of romance and it's so much fun to read!
4. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
- This is where monsters began for me and it's such a great novel that makes you THINK. It should be read in high school forever. It's a novel that's meanings are easy to find.
5. Interview With the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles #1) by Anne Rice
- I've only read the first book in this series, but I adore it. It is what made me love vampires. In my opinion  it's a classic that all paranormal lovers should read.
6. Jane Austen novels
- Emma and Pride and Prejudice are my two favorites, but she really is a phenomenal author, and woman. Most of her stories are amazing.
7. The Places You'll Go by Dr. Seuss
- This may be labelled as a children's book, but it is so much more. It's inspiring. In my family, whenever someone graduates high school, they get a hardback copy signed by everyone in the family. I think books like this, with or without traditions like my family's, need to be perserved and passed down generation to generation.
8. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
- I don't even know what to say about this. It's just one that I loved in high school and want everyone to read. It's such a creepy tale.
9. Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh Series #1) by A.A. Milne
- Still one of my favorite books ever.
10. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz #1) by L. Frank Baum
- This novel and the movie that came from it need to remain in our lives forever. So imaginative and engaging!

What books do you want future generations to keep reading?

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me