Friday, October 26, 2012

Follow Friday (37)

Feature & Follow Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Parajunkee's View and Alison Can Read.

Q. What writing device or trick irritates you most when reading a book?

A. My biggest ones are insta-love and love triangles. In my whole, extremely long life, I've never met a person who juggles loving two of the sexiest creatures in the world, but in so many books today, that's all we see. In most cases, I want to throw the main character out the window and steal both of the men and keep them for myself because I'm greedy and like attractive men. While I hate insta-love, love triangles may be higher up on my sh*t list. They are so annoying and they makes me want to hit someone in the face with a shovel - especially when I pick the wrong guy, which has happened four times so far. And each of those times, my reaction was:
And insta-love... I just cannot stand it. There are some instances where it is written very well and makes sense, I admit grudgingly, then there are other times when the author is just trying to move the book along faster or make it seem like it's true love. It comes across as ridiculous though, because no one knows that they are meant to be  just by looking at someone.

I also hate an overabundance of literary devices. I just read a book where almost every other sentence had either a simile, metaphor or an analogy in it. I almost threw the book in the trash and it was a library book... But really, there are other ways to write a sentence! Jiminy crickets, people!

I have a lot of pet peeves, and it's not hard to annoy me. So all books beware.

What do you find irritating in books?

3 comments :

  1. Hear, hear! Down with love triangles! I wrote about them on my FF, too.

    Old follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot cope with instalove or love triangles. I actually forgot to include it in my list because I avoid those book like the plague.

    New follower! My follow friday! Please visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a fan of insta-love or love triangles either.


    Old follower via GFC.

    My FF

    Sabina @ Delirious About Books

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me