Friday, April 20, 2012

Book Review: The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden #1) by Julie Kagawa

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: April 24, 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
485 Pages

In a future world, Vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity.

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die… or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for.

VISIT THE AUTHOR:
FIND THE BOOK:

Review:
"'You are no longer human. You are a predator, and the sooner you accept that, the easier this life, this existence, will become.'"

The Immortal Rules is a adrenaline-pumping, action-filled novel that is sure to be enjoyed by vampire lovers!

What a way to start a story! Ms. Kagawa is not afraid to dive right in and that is something to admire.

Allison or Allie as she is called in the beginning is the main character and she is not exactly a nice person. In the beginning, I didn't like reading from her point of view because all her thoughts were negative. Though it was great to read about a character who loved to read and risked her life by doing so. That's my kind of girl. I'm sure we would've been friends, if she could stop being so mean.

This book is so gory and frightening! I normally don't read horrors novels and even though this isn't classified as a horror story, it definitely has elements in it that make it a horror. I had heard so many  good things about this that I had to give it a try! I'm so glad I did. I LOVED the gore and action in this novel. I literally became hooked on it. Allison is hardcore and an amazing fighter. I was captivated by her action scenes.

What I noticed? Julie Kagawa likes the word "glass." She especially likes "broken glass and windows." After a while, it really started to bother me. I counted some form of the phrase "broken glass" twenty times in the first thirty percent of this novel. Much of the author's language is repetitive. I also found a few spelling and grammatical errors, but since this is an ARC, I'm sure they will be fixed for the final copies.

Just after I began this novel, I heard that it was going to be made into a movie. After that news, I actually started to enjoy it more because the way Ms. Kagawa writes gives you great visuals. You can see the story perfectly as it unfolds. I can't wait to see what they can do with this!

I really got into the book about half way through. Allison, which is what she is called by the group she happens upon, really changes. You can see her adjust to being a vampire. Honestly, I think it changed her for the better. She doesn't exactly mature, but she begins to the world and people differently. She begins to care about the welfare of others. That's why I started to enjoy it. Her transformation makes her a likable character.

This book gets pretty angsty at times. I love it! I can't read a book without conflict and this had some great problems and even better villains. Some of the "villains" in this story aren't actually villains, but they definitely aren't good. In this crazy world that Ms. Kagawa created, you can see how people would change. It really makes sense, too.

The ending was very rushed. I pretty much skimmed it, because even through skimming, you could get the gist of the last few major events. I was very annoyed in the change of pace and the lack of my favorite characters. Allison and Zeke were pretty much the main characters, but I wish the author would've included the minor characters more. I loved Kanin and wanted to see more of him.

I am really looking forward to seeing what happens in the next book! This was a good book, not my favorite, but definitely worth reading! 


I received an e-copy of this novel from the publisher from Netgalley for my honest opinion and review.

3 comments :

  1. Thanks for your honest detailing of some aspects of the book that other reviewers have passed over in their enthusiastic reviews! I will still read it but it feels like you've prepared me a little better for what to expect :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I really love this book. I'm a big fan of Julie Kagawa and i must say she did a pretty great job here. I'm thrilled that we have the same view on her book. And wow you're pretty good paying attention to small details like the glass thingy.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The combination of by the author is really original and interesting, I read the summary and fell in love (not literary) because sounds very, very good to me. I expect read this books soon because I can't wait so much time.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me