Saturday, April 7, 2012

Book Review: Drowning Instinct by Ilsa J. Bick

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: February 1, 2012
Publisher: Lerner Publishing Group
352 Pages

There are stories where the girl gets her prince, and they live happily ever after. (This is not one of those stories.) 

Jenna Lord's first sixteen years were not exactly a fairytale. Her father is a controlling psycho and her mother is a drunk. She used to count on her older brother—until he shipped off to Iraq. And then, of course, there was the time she almost died in a fire. 

There are stories where the monster gets the girl, and we all shed tears for his innocent victim. (This is not one of those stories either.) 

Mitch Anderson is many things: A dedicated teacher and coach. A caring husband. A man with a certain...magnetism. 

And there are stories where it's hard to be sure who's a prince and who's a monster, who is a victim and who should live happily ever after. (These are the most interesting stories of all.) 

Drowning Instinct is a novel of pain, deception, desperation, and love against the odds—and the rules.

VISIT THE AUTHOR:
FIND THE BOOK:

Review:
Drowning Instinct is one of the most emotional reads that I've read in a while… in fact, it may be one of the most emotional books that I've read ever.

It's mostly the last hundred pages that did me in. The narrator, while she explains her emotions often, seemed emotionless at the same time. It was almost like she was holding in how she felt and forcing herself to be a robot. I noticed this in the first book of her dystopian series, Ashes, too. I think it worked better in this book. It was understandable with everything the poor girl in this story had to deal with.

Honestly, the ending has torn me apart. I am typing through my tears. It was so heart-wrenching. This ending, this entire book, will stick with me for quite a while. Especially with the way the book left off. Definitely not a happy ending. Though from the blurb, it is obvious that a book of this subject would have a sad ending. I didn't know if I would read this in the first place, because I usually am not a unhappy ending girl. Happy ending and happy romances are the books I enjoy most. (I'm just saying, if I wanted to see an unhappy ending, I'd look my my life and the lives of those less fortunate!)

I don't know if I would say I enjoyed this book. It was an amazing read, but can you really enjoy something that shows the vulnerability and fears of a young girl? She's traumatized by everything that has happened in her life and who can blame her? It tore my heart open to read about her life and how the one thing that made me happy was taken away.

I have never seen a teacher and student relationship first hand. They are reported in the news every so often, from all across the United States. I honestly never really found it disturbing. A lot of people will disagree with me. I'm not saying that it's okay. It's not. Not at all. And I know this book is fiction, but after reading this, I wonder if this is how the students and teachers feel. Are they in love? Do they want to spend their lives together? Or is it just a therapeutic outlet? This has always been a fascinating subject in my opinion. When finishing this novel, I am even more intrigued now.

Drowning Instinct really makes you think. It doesn't broach this controversial subject by examining it as a crime. You see one side of the story. The "victim's" story and how she changed from what she experienced. This book makes you think about whether all cases truly make the students a victim. Are you a vicim if you act on your own behalf? Are you a victim if you fall in love? 

This book was a roller coaster and my heart is still in my throat. I think it's a great book, but it's definitely not for everyone. It's a tough subject that Ms. Bick handles beautifully.


No comments :

Post a Comment

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me