Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Desperately Wanting Wednesday (4)

Desperatly Wanting Wednesday, hosted by Parajunkee's View
Desperately Wanting Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Rachel at Parajunkee's View. It is based off of the meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, Waiting on Wednesday. Since the "On My Wishlist" meme is no longer active, Ed and I have decided to switch to this meme so we can talk about books (and movies) that we want - both released and to-be-released.

This week's theme is:
Hot Books I Missed

Our Young-Adult Pick:

Shadow and Bone (The Grisha Trilogy #1) by Leigh Bardugo
The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: June 5, 2012
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)
358 Pages

Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee. 

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling. 

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha…and the secrets of her heart.

I've wanted to read this since I heard of it! And now that it's released, I'm only buying my time. If I stopped finding books I want to read on Netgalley, it would be a faster process. Grr!

Our Adult Pick:

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: July 26, 2005
Publisher: Dell
629 Pages


The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon--when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach--an "outlander"--in a Scotland torn by war and raiding Highland clans in the year of Our Lord...1743.


Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into intrigues and dangers that may threaten her life...and shatter her heart. For here she meets James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, and becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire...and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.


*gasp* I know, I know! It's on my list! Very high up there, I swear. I've heard only awesome things, plus the residence hall Ed and I will be living in next year is named for the author. (She attended my school! a;sdjnfal;sdkfna;lsdkfhgfds SO FREAKING AWESOME)


2 comments :

  1. I have heard of Shadow and Bone, it looks really good! :)

    I'm a new follower! :)

    Kyra
    www.blogofabookaholic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen Shadow and Bone around but I hadn't read a description of it until now. It sounds interesting. I'd love to read it when it comes out. Nice picks.
    My WOW

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me