Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday (37)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish!
This week's theme is: 
Top Ten Authors and Books I'm Thankful For

1. John Green
- I will always be thankful for John Green and not just as an author, but as a person. He and Hank, his brother, for those who don't know, have been a true inspiration to me. Plus, his novels are some of the greatest I've ever read.

2. Dr. Seuss
- My mother read Dr. Seuss to me as a child, and even bought me his books on cassette (yes, it was that long ago) for me to listen to while trying to sleep. His stories brought my imagination to life and I wouldn't be the avid reader that I am today without him.

3. Stephenie Meyer / The Twilight Saga
- There was a time in high school where I got into a serious funk. I didn't like anything. I couldn't read. I had serious social issues and couldn't relate to my classmates. So I basically spent all of my time in the library, doing homework. The head librarian noticed the change in my attitude and brought me a copy of the first book. I was hooked. So while I'm not longer a fanatic, I am thankful to Stephenie Meyer because she help restore my love of books.

4. Harry Potter
- I'm sure you understand.

5. Jane Eyre
- This book and the 2007 version of the movie made my senior year of high school bearable. To this day, it is one of my all time favorite well... everythings.

6. The Hunger Games
- For starting a new trend that we can't get enough of.

7. Cecilia Gray
- As an author, and as a friend. I "met" Cecilia this year and I adore her. She's not only a brilliant writer, but she's awesome and is super strange with me.

8. Manga
- I'm sure this doesn't exactly count, but within the past few months, manga has become a big part of my life. I read it just as much of it as "regular books." I also smile as I read them and I've become seriously attached to several series. Manga (and anime, for that matter) makes me happy.

9. My Momma and Grandma Katie
- This doesn't really count either. I'm kind of stealing this idea from Paula from The Broke and The Bookish, but it fits in very well in my life as well. My mom isn't a big reader. She likes to read, but she is not obsessed like I am. She always tells me that she admires me for how involved I get in novels and wishes that she had the drive to read as much as I do. Though she says this, my reading habits are really her doing. Before I was even born, my mother and grandmother read to me. My grandmother was a big fan of books as well. It's genetic, I'd say. So growing up, I was always at the library, or being read to, or when I finally could, reading to them. The love of books that I was born into has stayed with me from birth to adulthood and I have them to thank for it.

10. All Authors and Books
- As a book lover, I'm thankful for all books. Even if they are godawful. If you are an author, I'm thankful for you (unless you are a complete jerk, then I'm not). You are courageous enough to put your words out there, not knowing what the reaction will be. I'm thankful for that because without authors, we wouldn't have books.

What books and authors are you thankful for this year?

2 comments :

  1. Stephenie Meyer is on my list too. And Harry Potter. I still haven't read any John Green yet. He's on my TBR list.

    Check out my TTT. New follower!

    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second number 10 :-) I'm so thankful for authors for creating books - I know it takes a ton of time, and the rewards might sometimes be meager, so I'm thankful to each and every one of them.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me