Friday, November 9, 2012

Follow Friday (39)

Feature & Follow Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Parajunkee's View and Alison Can Read.

Q. Do you mind books with similar ideas to other books? Similar concepts, backgrounds, retellings or pulled-to-publish fanfiction?

A. I HATE PULLED-TO-PUBLISH FANFICTION. I think it's utterly ridiculous. You can change the names of your characters, put them in different locations, but you are still using work that is based off of someone else's to make a profit. On the other side of that, I sincerely enjoy retellings, or at least most of them. Especially when I enjoyed the original novel (I have a hard time letting go). I'm a sucker for Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice retellings. For books that have similar concepts and backgrounds, it really depends on the book. Some people can use similar ideas, but really make the novel their own. Others are so blatantly obvious that I want to call the author AND publisher into question. There's a line, and it should be respected.

And enter to win our Fierce Reads GIVEAWAY!
One winner, six books. (US/CAN)

6 comments :

  1. Well I've never read Pulled-To-Publish Fanfic so I don't really have a opinion on that. :P But if I did read fanfic I would probably agree with you. New GFC follower!

    Here's my FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely feel the same way about this! :)

    New Follower! My FF @ Pink Fluffy Hearts

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel exactly the same way about published fan fiction. I don't like it, don't respect it and don't want to read it. It's unoriginal and unfair to the original author. But retellings of classics and fairy tales always end up on top of my list :) New follower!

    Judith @ Paper Riot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very similiar here. I don't like the idea of fanfiction getting published. Of course some FFs are very different from the Original, with an AU setting and OOC characters, but it still makes me feel very uncomfortable. FanFiction should be free, something to explore a world, something for the fandom. To get paid for writing FF? I don't know..

    Patricia // My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great point, it just feels like stealing :-/

    I'm a new follower :D Here is my FFF

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the second blog I've seen someone talk about "pulled-to-publish fanfiction"....and I've never heard of this before today and am not quite sure what it exactly includes. However, I've never read any fan fiction either. So I can't really say one way or another an opinion on that.

    New follower via GFC.

    Here is my F&F.

    Holly @ Words Fueled by Love

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me