Thursday, March 29, 2012

Movie Review: The Hunger Games (2012)



The blurb as seen on Internet Movie Database:
Release Date: March 23, 2012
Directed by: Gary Ross
Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Lenny Kravitz, Elizabeth Banks, Donald Sutherland, Woody Harrelson
142 Minutes

Set in a future where the Capitol selects a boy and girl from the twelve districts to fight to the death on live television, Katniss Everdeen volunteers to take her younger sister's place for the latest match.

Review:
So over the weekend I went and saw The Hunger Games. I personally thought it was a good film adaptation because a book that turns into a film always has its flaws.  Now, I’m not going to write about what the film is about because it is originally a book and that’s Emily's job. What I will be talking about is how the film was as an adaptation and as its own film.

First of all I really loved the book and if you haven’t read it by now, you seriously need to go to a book store and buy it! The film had all the major characters that the book introduces so that’s a thumbs up. Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) was just as I imagined her to be. Peeta ( Josh Hutcherson) was superb! What I really loved about the film is that there were scenes of Seneca Crane (the gamemaker) and President Snow that were not in the book but I thought that the scenes were very helpful to make the audience understand because the book barley talks about Seneca Crane and President Snow really isn’t in it.  Overall, I really loved the film as a book adaptation.

Now, as its own movie? I felt that even if someone went to the movie theater to watch it without  even knowing what the book was about they would fall in love and get hooked on The Hunger Games. The film does an excellent job to explain just exactly what the hunger games is all about and the acting was pretty awesome. The only thing that I was not a big fan of was how the camera got really shaky during intense moments. This just gave me a headache and made everything feel awkward because I was trying to figure out just what was happening whenever the camera got shaky.  I don’t want to give anything away for those of you who have not seen it but the scene that really bothered me was when the games first began. Everything had gotten so shaky that I did not even know what was going on until the end of the scene. That was the only problem that I had wit the film but overall I really enjoyed it and I’m sure that you will too! Hit me up by leaving a comment about what you thought of the movie!

Click here to watch a trailer for The Hunger Games!


2 comments :

  1. Take away the hullabaloo surrounding the film adaptation of Suzanne Collins’ best-selling young adult book and what you have is an absorbing film with a dire premise that stands pretty much on its own. Lawrence is also the stand-out here as Katniss and makes her seem like a real person rather than just another book character brought to life on film. Good review Edwin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw this last night and I agree with many of your points--4.5/5 sounds good to me. One of my friends had to leave the theater due to her nausea from the shaky camera work at the beginning. I wish she could've stayed because it seemed to get steadier as the movie progressed. I was surprised how much I enjoyed Jennifer Lawrence in the role--much better than Kristen Stewart's interpretation of Bella.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me