Saturday, March 10, 2012

Follow Friday (4)

Follow Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Parajunkee's View and Alison Can Read.

Q. Have you ever looked at a book's cover and thought, This is going to be horrible? But, instead was pleasantly surprised? Show us the cover and tell us about the book.


A. I judge books by there covers. I'll admit it. I very, very rarely buy books that have covers that I don't love.
But there is one series that I can think of where when I first saw the cover I told myself that it would be stupid and so I never bought the book. Until one day, my dad and I were at the book store and he pointed them out and offered to buy them. (I'll never turn down a free book!)
That series was The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare.


I still don't really like the cover. All I can say is at least this is one time where what's written on the pages is not reflected by the cover. This is one of my favorite series, but I probably wouldn't have read it if it weren't for my dad.

Another cover that really put me off, but I ended up loving the book is Starters (Starters and Enders #1) by Lissa Price.


The cover is eery and a bit off-putting for me. I don't understand the picture, I know it is a reference to something from the book, but I never understood what the picture meant. But I really liked the book. I'm dying for the next one!

And last, but not least: Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson.


I think this cover is really ugly. I didn't think I was going to like it, because I had just read Ms. Anderson's Speak and I was not a fan. But I loved this book. It is one of my all-time favorite books, and one of the best that Ms. Anderson has written.

2 comments :

  1. I haven't read any of these books yet. I just purchased The Mortal Instruments series. I received an ARC of Starters - the cover is ugly - but I haven't read it yet.
    New follower.
    Waiting For Wentworth

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are some terrible covers, although I haven't read any of these so I can't say how the stories are.
    Mortal Instruments is on my readings list, I've heard nothing but good things about it and plan to read it.

    Eli @ ElianiWrites

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me