Friday, May 10, 2013

Follow Friday (64)

Feature and Follow Friday is hosted by Parajunkee's View and Alison Can Read!

Q. Happy Mother's Day! Who is your favorite mom from fiction?

A. Clara and Jeff's mom in the Unearthly series. Most moms in YA fiction tend to be nonexistence  or extreme in personality. But Maggie was seemingly your average, loving mom. I adored her relationship with her children and the wisdom that she unknowingly passed down to them.
I agree with Jenn about the way moms are shown in YA fiction. It's gotten really old. I'd love to see some books with parental units and their spawn having a close relationship because I have a good relationship with my mom, so I know they do actually exist. I honestly cannot think of a mom that really sticks out, but I did like Violet's mom from the Body Finder series and Sam's mom in the Necromancer series. I'm sure there are more, but I'm having a major brain fart.

Who is your favorite fictional mother?

4 comments :

  1. Life After Theft by Aprilynne Pike has good parental units as well as Percy Jackson. They are really hard to come by though.

    New follower via RSS (Feedly)

    Nyx @ Unraveling Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I agree that the mothers are really non-existent when it comes to YA. Good picks!

    Julianna Smith - FFF

    ReplyDelete
  3. This question really had me thinking about how little parents are involved in YA. I need to read these series. :)

    New follower by GFC and Linky :D
    My FF Jennifer @ Donnie Darko Girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read the series yet but parents aren't usually talked about in YA. I'm a new GFC, Linky, and Networked Blogs follower.

    My FF:

    http://mymidnightfantasies.blogspot.com/2013/05/feature-follow-is-weekly-blog-hop.html#comment-form

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me