Thursday, October 10, 2013

ARC Review: Never Desire a Duke (One Scandalous Season #1) by Lily Dalton

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: September 24, 2013
Publisher: Forever (Grand Central Publishing)
375 Pages

A secret from his past holds the key to their future...

A Marriage Beyond Hope

Lady Sophia has long been estranged from her husband, Lord Vane Barwick, the Marquess of Claxton, whose rumored list of amorous conquests includes almost every beautiful woman of the ton. Yet a shocking encounter with him in a crowded ballroom—and a single touch—are all it takes to reawaken her furious passion for him. But how can she trust the man who crushed her dreams and took away the one thing she wanted most?

A Love Beyond Reason

Lord Claxton has never forgiven himself for the youthful mistake that ruined his marriage to Lady Sophia. Now, after nearly a year abroad, the reformed rogue vows to win back the only woman he's ever truly loved. He'll do whatever it takes to prove he can be the honorable husband she deserves—and the passionate lover she desires. As the snowdrifts deepen outside their ancestral home, can they rekindle the flame that burned so bright and find a new path to forever?



If you know me well, you know that I have baby fever (in fiction, and fiction alone). Books that involve babies and pregnancy are some of my favorite guilty pleasures. I have bothered just about everyone I know to recommend me some good "baby books," including Jenn. (Sorry, Jenn!) So when I saw some great ratings for Never Desire a Duke and then saw that babies play a pretty big role in the story, I jumped on that.

When she needed him most, Vane Barwick, Duke of Claxton, was not there for his wife, Sophia. After months apart and rumors galore, Vane has returned to revive his relationship with his beloved. Too bad Sophia is having none of it. She has a deal for Claxton: a heir for a legal separation. When fate keeps them stuck in Vane's childhood home together, they must decide for themselves what they truly want from the other.

I enjoyed reading about the main characters of this story immensely. While both have faults and both angered me at one point or another, I loved their story and how these two interacted. Sophia and Vane have wonderful chemistry that no reader could deny. (And the smoldering, passionate sex scenes help with that.) The minor characters played out their roles wonderfully, and some that the reader is meant to loathe in the beginning were actually redeemed in the end. Each character had their own story, and they were well-rounded. That is something that many authors seem to forget, and I applaud Lily Dalton for her talent of creating full characters.

The book was pretty dang good. It didn't blow my mind, but it was extremely enjoyable and one that I know I will more than likely reread when I need a good swoon. The pacing was perfect. It never dragged for me, nor did it move too quickly for me to enjoy the story. This book is just a genuinely good story. The author has a real talent for writing historical romance. 

I don't read a ton of this genre, but when I do, I really enjoy it. Never Desire a Duke is no exception. It has a wonderful, passionate romance that left me sighing and smiling and wishing I could wear a fancy dress to a party with a lot of attractive men. After my experience with this story, I can assure you that I will be continuing with the series. I look forward to seeing what Dalton produces next. If it is anything like Never Desire a Duke, I'm sure that I'll enjoy it.
I received an e-copy of this novel from the publisher for my honest opinion and review via Netgalley.

1 comment :

  1. Well, this boook looks amazing
    I don't really read these kinds of romances a lot
    But this sounds really good
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me