Tuesday, October 8, 2013

ARC Review: Bang (Visions #2) by Lisa McMann

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: October 8, 2013
Publisher: Simon Pulse
256 Pages

Jules should be happy. She saved a lot of people’s lives and she’s finally with Sawyer, pretty much the guy of her dreams. But the nightmare’s not over, because she somehow managed to pass the psycho vision stuff to Sawyer. Excellent.

Feeling responsible for what he’s going through and knowing that people’s lives are at stake, Jules is determined to help him figure it all out. But Sawyer’s vision is so awful he can barely describe it, much less make sense of it. All he can tell her is there’s a gun, and eleven ear-splitting shots. Bang.

Jules and Sawyer have to work out the details fast, because the visions are getting worse and that means only one thing: time is running out. But every clue they see takes them down the wrong path. If they can’t prevent the vision from happening, lives will be lost. And they may be among the casualties…



This review has spoilers from the first book in this series, Crash, and possibly some from Bang. You have been warned.

If there is one author I can always count on to entertain, it's Lisa McMann. Everything she has written has been phenomenal, in my opinion.  While Bang is not my favorite of her books, it still had me enraptured. I read it in one sitting (and stayed up most of the night finishing). You know a book is good when you can't put it down at one in the morning, even though you've got a test the next day!

At the end of Crash, we discovered that Jules's ability to see a fatal event had been passed on to Sawyer. Now the victim of this terrifying ability, Sawyer must trust in Jules to help him unravel the mystery of this occurrence and save the lives of the victims, all while, keeping their relationship hidden from their still-feuding families. Told from Jules's point-of-view, Lisa McMann writes another fantastic drama filled with suspense and romance!

Jules is relatable because of her humor and her personality. She's a teenager who is pretty much an outcast, with only her brother, Trey and sister, Rowan to rely on. She's started dating Sawyer, in this book, and they give me the swoonz. I really loved the way these characters interacted. Their connections felt real and the way they thought and acted reminded me much of myself around that age. Lisa has always been excellent at writing a teenager's perspective; Bang is no different.

The build-up to the actual event was rough as the main characters were distracted by family drama, high school drama and love. The author makes it rough for these characters to get settled and happy. I found it to be impossible not to root for Jules.

The only thing I wish we could've seen more of is the conflict with Jules' father. He's not a bad man, but he's made a lot of mistakes. I really want to see him own up to them, take charge and show his children and his wife that he loves them. The confrontation we see between him and Jules was not enough for me. I needed a bit more drama. I also wanted to see it come closer to being resolved.


Bang was another fantastic installment from Lisa. It was entertaining, hilarious and just… great! I do not know if Ms. McMann plans to expand this series into a third book, but I sincerely hope she does. The characters, plot and prose have made for entertaining ride that I'm not ready to get off of yet!
I received an e-copy of this novel from the publisher for my honest opinion and review via Edelweiss.

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me