Monday, June 25, 2012

A Book Series in Review: As the World Dies: A Zombie Trilogy by Rhiannon Frater



The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: August 14, 2008
Publisher: Self-Published through Tom Doherty Associates
335 Pages

The morning that the world ends, Katie is getting ready for court and housewife Jenni is taking care of her family. Less than two hours later, they are fleeing for their lives from a zombie horde. 

Thrown together by circumstance, Jenni and Katie become a powerful zombie-killing partnership, mowing down zombies as they rescue Jenni's stepson, Jason, from an infected campground.

They find sanctuary in a tiny, roughly fortified Texas town.  There Jenni and Katie find they are both attracted to Travis, leader of the survivors; and the refugees must slaughter people they know, who have returned in zombie form.  

Fast-paced and exciting, filled with characters who grab your heart, The First Days: As the World Dies is the beginning of a frightening trilogy. 

FIND THE BOOK:

Review:
I read book one in this series over a year ago and I don't have a review, so I'll just tell you it was a fast-paced, fascinating read. The cover is also super freaking awesome and what drew me to the series in the first place.




The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: February 17, 2009
Publisher: Self-Published through Tom Doherty Associates
368 Pages

Picking up where The First Days ends, Fighting to Survive features the further zombie-killing, civilization-saving adventures of a pair of sexy, kick butt heroines and the men who love them. A hundred or so survivors of the zombie plague have found tenuous safety in the walled off center of a small Texas town. Now the hard work of survival begins—finding enough food; creating safe, weather-resistant shelter; establishing laws; and fighting off both the undead who want to eat them and the living bandits who want to rob and kill them.

FIND THE BOOK:

Review:

Fighting to Survive is book two in the As The World Dies series by Rhiannon Frater. It's about zombies. Zombies are awesome, but this book was subpar. 

I don't have a whole lot to say about this book. It was entertaining, but not extraordinary. I usually am obsessed with zombie novels, but that was not the case for this series.

I had some trouble keeping up with the plot at some points and besides the main characters, I got lost in who was who. The main characters, Jenny, Juan, Katie and Travis all had different qualities that annoyed me. Some more than others. I liked Travis best and Jenny least. Travis is pretty cool, but really needs to stand up for himself and be firm in his ideas. Katie needs to learn to consider how her actions affect others and Jenni needs to be honest with those she says she loves. Her secrets could've gotten people killed. She is very selfish in my opinion. Juan… I really liked him, but he could do a lot better than Jenny.

There were too many point-of-views in this story. I had trouble keeping up with the story mostly because I couldn't connect to the characters and I couldn't keep track of who was who. But I liked the zombies! Any book with zombies has at least one redeeming quality, being the zombies themselves.

My favorite character was obviously Ken. He's gay, has an obsession with Daniel Craig and kills zombies. What's not to love about that? Plus he is the real humor in this story.

I really enjoyed the first book, the second was mediocre, but I will continue the series and hopefully love the third book! I'm still intrigued by the plot, so I'm really hoping it will pull through.





The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: August 14, 2009
Publisher: Self-Published through Tom Doherty Associates
368 Pages

The zombie illness has shattered civilization. The survivors who have found tenuous safety in Texas defend their fort against the walking dead and living bandits. 

Katie has made peace with the death of her wife and is pregnant and married to Travis, who has been elected Mayor. Jenni, her stepson, Jason; and Juan—Travis’s righthand man—are a happy family, though Jenni suffers from PTSD. Both women are deadly zombie killers.
In Siege, the people of Ashley Oaks are stunned to discover that the vice president of the United States is alive and commanding the remnants of the US military. What’s left of the US government has plans for this group of determined survivors.

FIND THE BOOK:

Review:
Siege was a very disappointing ending for me. I liked the series overall, but I didn't fall in love with it like I hoped I would. Usually, I love all things zombies. This was the exception.

Honestly, I don't know how I finished it. I kept hoping it would pick up, but it didn't. Many people said this series was amazing and the final book was a phenomenal… I am one of the very few who didn't like this book and felt "meh" about the complete series. 

The characters were just not relatable at all. I know they are in a position that we can't possibly relate to, but I expected to at least like the characters and understand their emotions and actions. And the only one I liked was Ken. …Yeah, that's pretty much it… No one else really comes to mind. And I wasn't very impressed with the writing. The change-up in character point-of-view only annoyed me. It was hard to keep up with.

What else is there to say about Siege? Rhiannon Frater is not afraid to kill off her characters! Be forewarned, this is a total angstfest. I cried, I'll admit it. While I didn't like the characters and had trouble with the writing, the plot was wonderful. I was seriously intrigued by everything that happened. But that was as far as my enjoyment went.

What a bummer. I thought this series would be amazing, but it just wasn't for me.


VISIT THE AUTHOR:

1 comment :

  1. I've been on a total zombie kick lately, so this looks really interesting! Great review.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me