Thursday, March 8, 2012

Book Review: Starters (Starters and Enders #1) by Lissa Price

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:

Release Date: March 13, 2012
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
368 Pages

HER WORLD IS CHANGED FOREVER 

Callie lost her parents when the Spore Wars wiped out everyone between the ages of twenty and sixty. She and her little brother, Tyler, go on the run, living as squatters with their friend Michael and fighting off renegades who would kill them for a cookie. Callie's only hope is Prime Destinations, a disturbing place in Beverly Hills run by a mysterious figure known as the Old Man. 

He hires teens to rent their bodies to Enders—seniors who want to be young again. Callie, desperate for the money that will keep her, Tyler, and Michael alive, agrees to be a donor. But the neurochip they place in Callie's head malfunctions and she wakes up in the life of her renter, living in her mansion, driving her cars, and going out with a senator's grandson. It feels almost like a fairy tale, until Callie discovers that her renter intends to do more than party—and that Prime Destinations' plans are more evil than Callie could ever have imagined. . . .

VISIT THE AUTHOR:
FIND THE BOOK:

Review:
This started off very interesting, it didn't really have all of my attention at first, but I was intrigued.

As for flaws, I really didn't like the list of "rules" that are shown to Callie when she is going over the job that she is about to take with the Enders. It was very short and didn't seem realistic to me. It was unprofessional and didn't include a lot of things that should be included. So that immediately made me wary. Also, the fact that the company that is doing this hasn't be caught or well-known is strange to me. In a world with only people younger than 20 and older than 60, you'd think that if there was a way for the Enders to be young again, everyone would know and try to get a chance to start over. And Helena was a confusing character for me. Everything that happened to Callie was just very strange.

The idea of how the world changed in this novel was really weird. It didn't make sense to me that only old people and young ones would get the vaccine. And why was there so little of it? There were just a lot of things that left me curious and never seemed to get answered for me. But the entirety of the novel was very unique and great.

I felt that some of the book was messy. It was a little forced and blocky. So it made the beginning very hard to get into, but as the book developed, I really enjoyed it.

I liked Callie a lot. She put herself through hell and back to save her brother. Her love for him keeps me in awe. Tyler is so sweet. Blake is a pretty cool character. His relationship with Callie happened a little too quickly for my taste, but overall I liked them together. I loved Michael. So, so much. We don't see him much in this book, but he's still just awesome. He really cares for Callie and Tyler. He's a great friend to them.

This book is crazy. It is a very wild ride. There are plot twists that I could've never expected. Those are the best books. I am excited to read the next one. Thank God, Ms. Price is releasing it in 2012. I don't think I could wait much longer than that!


I received and e-copy of this novel from the publisher via Netgalley for my honest opinion and review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me