Friday, March 2, 2012

Book Review: Dark Frost (Mythos Academy #3) by Jennifer Estep

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: May 29, 2012
Publisher: Kensington
336 Pages

I’ve seen so many freaky things since I started attending Mythos Academy last fall. I know I’m supposed to be a fearless warrior, but most of the time, I feel like I’m just waiting for the next Bad, Bad Thing to happen. Like someone trying to kill me—again. 

Everyone at Mythos Academy knows me as Gwen Frost, the Gypsy girl who uses her psychometry magic to find lost objects—and who just may be dating Logan Quinn, the hottest guy in school. But I’m also the girl the Reapers of Chaos want dead in the worst way. The Reapers are the baddest of the bad, the people who murdered my mom. So why do they have it in for me? 

It turns out my mom hid a powerful artifact called the Helheim Dagger before she died. Now, the Reapers will do anything to get it back. They think I know where the dagger is hidden, but this is one thing I can’t use my magic to find. All I do know is that the Reapers are coming for me—and I’m in for the fight of my life.


VISIT THE AUTHOR:
FIND THE BOOK:

Review:
This book was definitely the darkest in the series by far. (Excuse the minor pun!)

Jennifer Estep is a great author. The first two books in this series had me hooked, but this one disappointed me. If I'm being honest, I didn't enjoy this book nearly as much as I did the first two. I love Gwen, Daphne, Carson, Oliver and Logan. They are great characters and Ms. Estep writes them wonderfully. The plot is always so original in her novels and Dark Frost is no exception.

I'm not sure what didn't work for me. There were a few minor errors, but seeing as this was an ARC, I'm sure in the final copy, they will be fixed. And the errors didn't bother me very much. I think it was the pace of the book. It seemed a bit slower than the others. And a bit dull at quite a few parts.

The battle scenes were awesome. They were well written and seemed like they could've been real, if this world actually existed. The last few chapters were fantastic. Probably the best scenes that I've read in a Mythos Academy novel. I loved them. Every emotion that Gwen felt was palpable through Ms. Estep's writing. I teared up quite a few times. It was great to see that kind of emotion in a way that I hadn't expected it.

I loved the characters from past books that played a bigger part in this book. I don't want to spoil it, so I'll just say she's a great add and the character that she brings along made the girl in me make little happy noises.

I will definitely be reading the next book. I'm pretty positive it's going to be epic. In fact, with the way this novel ended, I'm completely sure that Crimson Frost will be the greatest book in the series. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

I received and e-copy of this novel from the publisher through Netgalley for my honest opinion and review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me