Monday, March 26, 2012

Book Review: It's Not Shakespeare by Amy Lane

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: November 9, 2011
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
174 Pages

College professor James Richards is in a rut and feeling his age. He moved to northern California to escape heartbreak and humiliation, but so far the only good thing to happen to him has been his Boston terrier, Marlowe. 

Then James’s toughest student sets him up with her best friend. Rafael Ochoa is worlds apart from James—chronologically, culturally, and philosophically—but he’s also beautiful, kind, and a shot of adrenaline to James’s not-quite-middle-aged heart. Together, the two of them forge a bridge between James’s East Coast sensibilities and Rafael’s West Coast casualness, but can their meeting of the hearts survive James’s lack of faith in happy-ever-after? 

This is the prequel to You Can't Make an Omelet from the DSP's Halloween Howl Series.

WARNING: THIS BOOK CONTAINS MATERIAL UNSUITABLE FOR CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 18.


VISIT THE AUTHOR:
FIND THE BOOK:


Review:
This book was a bit confusing. There was a lot of unexplained Spanish, using it is fine, but an explanation is necessary. I took German in high school and now in college. The most I know how to say is "I want Taco Bell" and "Hello, friends." Everything else goes right over my head.

Rafi, the main character's love interest, also called everyone's mom "moms." I'll admit, at first, I thought every one had two moms. It confused me a lot. And I didn't enjoy that part. I had trouble with most of what Rafi said, and his speech. He was the stereotypical Mexican. I wish he hadn't been. It annoyed me, too. I couldn't see anything in his relationship with James because they were on two different levels.

James was annoyingly whiny. My advice to his character: If you don't like your life, change it. Complaining does nothing. It was obnoxious that he spent so much time complaining. He had a lot going for him, he was just too blind to see him. He didn't care to see it though, because he was broken hearted. 

This book definitely wasn't a classic by Shakespeare.

It was a typical, cliche story. It wasn't my favorite, but it wasn't horrible.


No comments :

Post a Comment

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me