Thursday, February 23, 2012

Book Review: Lie to Me by Starr Ambrose

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: December 1, 2009
Publisher: Pocket
384 Pages

The engagement is phony, but the diamonds are real... 
Devastatingly handsome Jack Payton, the black sheep of his well-bred family, isn't exactly marriage material, but for a fake fiancĂ©, he'll do just fine. Not that Eleanor Coggins has a choice. If she's going to prove that Jack's wealthy half brother Banner Westfield murdered her best friend, she needs total access to the family estate. 

Once Jack and Eleanor blow Banner's cover, they can go their separate ways...or so she thinks. In order to win custody of his twelve-year-old daughter, Jack seriously needs to improve his reputation. An engagement should do the trick, but with Eleanor's vivacious wit and irresistible curves, it's the pretend part that's getting harder.... 

With a little help from an ex-con turned home security expert, a police chief with a scandalous secret, and an unexpected visitor, they must expose Banner's dangerous tricks before they become his victims. But can Jack convince Eleanor to turn their own seductive little lie into the truth?



WARNING: THIS BOOK CONTAINS MATERIAL UNSUITABLE FOR CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 18.

VISIT THE AUTHOR:
FIND THE BOOK:


Review:
I liked this, but I didn't love it. I just couldn't get into the last 45%. There is a twist that makes the book just get cheesy and annoying. I didn't really like Ellie (Eleanor, Nora, El). She annoyed me from the very beginning. There is a line between being gutsy and brave and being an idiot and reacting without thinking. I just didn't like her at all. I liked Jack, somewhat. He was annoying at some points, too, but it was easy to see that he was a good guy. 


My favorite character was Libby. She was such a sweet little girl. The last chapter was very touching for these three characters. It was a good ending for a cheesy romance book. Rocky was awesome, too. He was fun and added some seriousness and comedy to the novel. And though I didn't like her in the being, Elizabeth was another great character. She really stepped up at the end.


I was really bummed that I didn't like it as much as I hoped to. The blurb made it sound so interesting and really got me searching for this book. So once I had to start skimming the novel to keep my interest and be able to finish it, I was sad. The premise is great. The characters definitely need some work. And I just couldn't get into the whole "rich people lifestyle." The wealthy people in this book were so stereotypical. Plus, it seemed completely unrealistic. 


The author had a very interesting writing technique, but I didn't like the flipping between point-of-views. I wish she had stuck with Ellie's and interpreted Ellie's thoughts on Jack's reactions. Knowing how they both felt the entire time was just frustrating. There was no mystery in this novel. Everything was obvious and the whole basis of this novel was supposed to be mystery.


I wish I could've liked this more than I had, but I just... didn't. I don't know if I will read any more of Ms. Ambrose's writing, if they are all like this.



1 comment :

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me