Sunday, February 19, 2012

Book Review: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1) by Marissa Meyer



The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: January 3, 2012
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
387 Pages

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . . 


Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


VISIT THE AUTHOR:
FIND THE BOOK:

Review:
Cinder is the most interesting take on a classic fairytale that I have read thus far. Cinderella was born into a world without technology, but Cinder, the main character of this novel was born into a life of cyborgs, moon people and hover crafts. 

From the first time I heard of this novel, I was intrigued. I've been on a dystopian kick ever since I read The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins. There have been quite a few books in this genre that have not been very good. This is definitely NOT one of those books. Cinder was phenomenal! I loved the characters, the situations and the struggles. Everything about this book just clicked. 

Cinder is one of my all time favorite female characters. She's strong, brave, true to herself and really cares about her loved ones. You can see that within the first few chapters. She loves her step-sister, Peony. Those are the female protagonists that I enjoy reading about - the ones who really care about their family and have great, relatable characteristics! Plus, she's a mechanic! That just tells you how fierce she is. She doesn't let what others think of her really affect what she does or who she is. In a world where cyborgs exist, but don't have the same rights and are unliked by the rest of the population, she does what she needs to do to take care of herself, her companion, Iko and her step-sister, Peony. She is a true heroine! 

Don't even get me started on Prince Kai. He's so swoon-worthy. I just love his name too! All of the names in the book are really interesting! Ms. Meyer really does a great job on creating characters and giving them the perfect names. Two thumbs up, for sure! 

The villains in this book are also really awesome. The villains are usually what make the book, because they give the main heroes and heroines something to work against and they truly make the plot. If you don't have a good villan, it is hard to really get into a book. Cinder has a perfect villan that puts Cinder in many difficult predicaments  There are multiple villains that really range in evil-ness and that really helps the book by giving it more conflict. 

The major "twist" in this story is not really a twist. It's a bit obvious, but I still bounced up and down when I read it. The way that the author wrote it really made it work. My breath literally was taken away and I actually made little, "SQUEE!" noises. (Judge if you will.) 

My brain is in jumbles over this book. It has everything you need! Mystery, a subtle romance, action, adventure and a dystopian society that has a treaty with humans that live on the moon. I recommend it to everyone. And I am dying for the next book. I literally need it in my hands right now! Fantastic!


3 comments :

  1. Great review!
    I heard so many good things about this book... can't wait to read! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first the red heel pump with the revealing bone on the front cover freaked me out and then I discovered what the book was actually about. It's been extremely popular and I can't wait to read it, too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading Cinder right now actually, had a hard time getting into it at first but now I'm loving it!!! Got to say I love the cover as well!!!

    Great Review!!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me