Monday, February 27, 2012

Book Review: Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades #2) by EL James

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:

Release Date: September 15, 2011
Publisher: The Writer's Coffee Shop Publishing House
373 Pages

Daunted by the singular sexual tastes and dark secrets of the beautiful, tormented young entrepreneur Christian Grey, Anastasia Steele has broken off their relationship to start a new career with a Seattle publishing house. 

But desire for Christian still dominates her every waking thought, and when he proposes a new arrangement, Anastasia cannot resist. They rekindle their searing sensual affair, and Anastasia learns more about the harrowing past of her damaged, driven and demanding Fifty Shades. 

While Christian wrestles with his inner demons, Anastasia must confront the anger and envy of the women who came before her, and make the most important decision of her life.

WARNING: THIS BOOK CONTAINS MATERIAL UNSUITABLE FOR CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 18.

VISIT THE AUTHOR:
FIND THE BOOK:


Review:
I'm so bummed. I wanted to love this. It has a great plot and original ideas, but it didn't work for me.

I am bothered most by the timeline. At the end of the book, Kate, Ana's best friend, mentions only being gone for sixteen days. Which means that the first two books of this series took place within a little over a month. …Really? It just isn't believable to me. It was totally and completely frustrating. I believe in love at first sight, but this was ridiculous. Letting a man control you that way after such a short period of time? In love, or not, it doesn't make sense to me. Ana really needed to control her own life and there wasn't much of that.

Ana wasn't as spineless in this book. That was one thing I really enjoyed. She stood up for herself much more and wasn't afraid to state her opinion. Though at some points, she relented too fast for my taste, but it was much, much better than the first book. Although, the fact that Christian wouldn't budge on any of Ana's requests, when she shouldn't have to request? That was utterly annoying. Their interactions at most parts in this book make it seem like more of a dictatorship than a relationship.

Also, this book had too many "big words" as my sister would say. It seemed like the author checked for a new word whenever she could. It wasn't necessary in the least and really took away from the story. It made everything more complex and personally, I don't want to have to look in my thesaurus every few sentences. Big words don't make the plot or the characters. This is especially so when the words weren't always used in the right context.

It still follows the same plot as the fan fiction. I see no difference. Which is both good and bad. I wish the author had changed it up a bit for publishing, but I respect her choice.

I will read the next one, but I don't think it will be the very next thing I read. I need a little break from the madness.

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me