Thursday, September 12, 2013

Book Review: Breathless (Elemental #2.5) by Brigid Kemmerer

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: April 30, 2013
Publisher: Kensington Teen
65 Pages

Too many secrets. Not enough time.

Nick Merrick is supposed to be the level-headed one. The peacemaker. Since it’s just him and his three hotheaded brothers against the world, that’s a survival tactic.

But now he’s got problems even his brothers can’t help him survive.

His so-called girlfriend, Quinn, is going quick as mercury from daring to crazy. Meanwhile, Quinn’s dancer friend Adam is throwing Nick off balance, forcing him to recognize a truth he’d rather shove back into the dark.

He can feel it—the atmosphere is sizzling. Danger is on the way. But whatever happens next, Nick is starting to find out that sometimes nothing you do can keep the peace.



Nick. Is. My. Favorite.

He has been my favorite of the Merrick brothers since the very beginning of the series, and I was literally bouncing to get this tiny insight into his secrets. (Can we talk about how much I love this secret, too? I may have scared Jenn with my flailing over it.) My excitement for this novella was not misplaced. Nick's wonderfulness did not change with this story, but actually, fans may grow to love him even more. 

He's a very lost boy. While reading this, it will be impossible for readers to not ache for Nick. He's such a good person (fictional as he may be). He just needs some direction, and the strength to be true to himself. Hopefully his love interest, his friends, and his family can show him how unconditional their love for him is so he can finally be happy. I must be honest, though, I still don't like Quinn and I don't see that changing any time soon. I hope she can help Nick, but she's low on my list of characters to care about.

This is the first novella of this series that I've enjoyed, even though I consider myself a big fan of Elementals. I can't really figure out why I enjoyed this one so much--I know for a fact it wasn't just because Nick's da bomb. I think Kemmerer's writing has beautifully progressed. She has gradually made herself an insta-buy author of mine, and a favorite as well. She's so talented and I can't wait to see what she does with the rest of this series, as well as her future novels.

Now I'll just be rocking over here in a dark corner for a full-length book about Nick. I can already taste the drama that's to come… It's gonna be good.

1 comment :

  1. Nick's your favorite? I did not know that. :) Gabriel's mine. I can't wait for Nick's full-length book, though. You're right, there's sure to be a lot of drama. :D

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me