Saturday, May 3, 2014

ARC Review: Breakable (Contours of the Heart #2) by Tammara Webber

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: May 6, 2014
Publisher: Penguin
368 Pages

He was lost and alone. Then he found her.
And the future seemed more fragile than ever.


As a child, Landon Lucas Maxfield believed his life was perfect and looked forward to a future filled with promise — until tragedy tore his family apart and made him doubt everything he ever believed.

All he wanted was to leave the past behind. When he met Jacqueline Wallace, his desire to be everything she needed came so easy…

As easy as it could be for a man who learned that the soul is breakable and that everything you hoped for could be ripped away in a heartbeat.





To say that Tammara Webber is one of my favorite authors is a bit of an understatement. I absolutely adore everything that she produces and was super excited to get my hands on another one of her books. Breakable is the follow up to Easy, the story of how Jaqueline and Lucas met and fell in love. While Easy focused more on Jaqueline’s POV, Breakable shows us what was going on with Lucas. But that’s not all, we also get a look into the early life of Lucas when he went by Landon. 

Basically, this is two stories rolled into one. Each chapter is either a Lucas chapter (present day) or a Landon chapter (past). I tended to lean more toward the Landon chapters as I’m not much of a fan of retellings from a different POV. The Landon chapters were just so heartbreaking and raw. This little boy’s life was altered completely in such a way that the only way he knew how to deal was to not. He lost his mother and his father, although physically present, checked out the same day his mother died. The only good thing about his childhood became his grandfather. His grandfather practically raised him and was the only one who believed him. Had it not been for him, I’m sure we would have met a different Lucas later on. 

But that’s not to say that I didn’t enjoy the Lucas chapters as well. It was nice to see meeting Jaqueline through his eyes after knowing her part. Although, I have to say that there were times where Lucas came off a little bit stalkerish with how obsessed he became with Jaqueline. He was almost better as the mysterious boy in class. 

Webber’s writing is just brilliant and I love the way she tells a story. She really knows how to make the reader fall in love with her characters and really care what happens to them. While the tales may fall on the side of dramatic, the situations are realistic and things that happen in everyday life. She breaks my heart in every book that she writes and I absolutely adore her for it and will continue to read anything she puts out. Was this book needed? No. But am I glad to have it? Definitely. 
I received an copy of this novel from the publisher for my honest opinion and review.

2 comments :

  1. Easy was the first YA book that I ever read, so I am really looking forward to reading Breakable. Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm starting this next. I can't wait!!! :D So glad to see you enjoyed it, even if it wasn't entirely necessary. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me