Friday, August 9, 2013

Follow Friday (72)


Feature and Follow Friday is hosted by 
Parajunkee's View and Alison Can Read!

Q. Back to school. Create a reading list for the imaginary English Lit class you'll be teaching this semester.

A. Wow, this is a toughy because most of the books I've been reading lately aren't class appropriate. Plus, I would be a horrible teacher because it is impossible for my to not curse during the day. So... But if I had to choose a few books to teach during class I would choose:

1) Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
- I read this during high school and watched the Ruth Wilson version (aka best version) of the movie and loved it. This is one of the few classic novels I have actually enjoyed. I'm actually listening to it right now as an audiobook.

2) The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
- I believe that everyone should at least give this novel a try. It's extremely powerful, and I think it could do a lot of good if taught in a high school setting.

3) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter #3) by JK Rowling
- I know this is mid-series, but this is my favorite book in the Harry Potter saga and I love talking with people about it. I would want to have great discussion over literature with my students.

Then I would let the kids choose a book of their own, as I am curious to know what they like to read. And I think having a choice in what you can read is very beneficial--it will keep a lot student reading. Had I been able to choose what I read in grade school, I think I would've had a lot more fun (and as the teacher, I'd have to do less work).
What do your reading list look like?

1 comment :

  1. I like how you give the option of a book we want. I love harry potter too! I didnt put it on mine only because there is 7 books, I didn't want to make my class read all 7 even though I wish they would! great class!!

    Old bloglovin follower, new twitter!


    Here's my FF + Giveaway!

    Amber @Paradise of Pages

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me