Saturday, August 10, 2013

ARC Review: My Totally Awkward Supernatural Crush by Laura Toffler-Corrie

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: August 20, 2013
Publisher: Roaring Brook Press
352 Pages

In My Totally Awkward Supernatural Crush by Laura Toffler-Corrie, Jenna Bloom is just an average middle school student until her family takes her to her least favorite restaurant for her birthday, where she meets Cowpoke Luke, her waiter and one true love. Oh, and he also happens to be an angel. Jenna can't believe that Luke could actually be interested in her, and yet he is! Unfortunately he's got a demonic foe named Adam who could potentially complicate matters, and when the two boys have a big showdown at the local community theater's performance of Fiddler on the Roof, Jenna is right in the middle of it all.




From the moment I read My Totally Awkward Supernatural Crush's summary, I knew I had to get my hands on a copy and get a good giggle. I definitely did. This is a fun, light-hearted book that is easy to read, and even easier to enjoy. It's not a novel that you need a lot of thought to get through, and doesn't broach hard subjects. This book is definitely a great read for those who need a early young adult/middle grade novel.

My Totally Awkward Supernatural Crush is a parody of the fads going around in paranormal romance. It's very obvious from the first page that this book will poke fun at some of the more popular books that we've all come to know. Whether we loved them or not, it's not difficult to see why some of these themes and plot points are ridiculous when they are put together in this story. The plot felt very scattered, but I think that instability was part of the point the author wanted to make. It's a good novel, but a little immature in certain parts to truly meet my tastes. I went a bit out of my comfort zone for this one.

I liked the characters, and found them awfully amusing, but there was no deep connection between us. In fact, there were several points where Jenna (the main character) made me scratch my head. Her over-the-top antics were a bit annoying. Hers is very much an exaggeration of the pre-teen mind. She reminded me a lot of my step-sister, which is probably why I wanted to kick her sometimes. I didn't really see why Luke was all that great. There was a great big "Why?" hanging over my head for most of the novel. The banter between the characters in this story is pretty funny, though. David had to be my favorite character. He's a total brat, and I love bratty kids, who care more than they say. His ditzy mother made me giggle as well.

This book is really meant to make readers laugh. It's a feel good novel that accomplishes what it set out to do. It's not a book that really get to the deeper meaning of things, which was a relief from some of other books that I've read lately. The characters suffer from exaggerated teen angst--we all know that feeling. It makes for a good laugh, but the aim is those in middle school/early high school!

My Totally Awkward Supernatural Crush an extremely amusing story, but if I'm being honest, it didn't tickle me as much as I had hoped. There's something that I can't exactly place my finger on that this book lacked. This has an undeniably obvious target audience of preteens are younger teenagers. The behavior and thoughts of the main character make it impossible to deny who this is really for. It's a book that anyone can read and laugh with, but forming a connection with it was more difficult because I couldn't find anything with which to really relate. This is a novel that was nice to read as I was reading it, but in the long run isn't very memorable.
I received an ARC of this novel from the publisher for my honest opinion and review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me